Cats

Noldi 16:19 27 May 2012

My Daughter moved back home recently and with her came two young cats, I'm not a great lover of cats basically they kill small birds etc, this morning I found one of the cats with a baby Wren which I was not best pleased about. Is there anything that can be done to reduce the chances of these cats killing, I hear that putting a bell round thier neck may be one solution I just wish they could be trained not to kill. Any ideas of how to stop these cats from behaving like cats.

Noldi.

interzone55 16:33 27 May 2012

Your last sentence is your answer, cats behave like cats, it's not something you can train out of them.

Bells on their collar is probably the best answer, as it alerts bird to their presence

NewestRoyWidd1 17:06 27 May 2012

I've found in the past that any cat worthy of the name will soon learn to stalk it's prey silently,making sure that the bell doesn't sound.

As Alan 14 has already said,you can't train cats out of their natural behaviour.Think lion or tiger etc;All part of the same family.

spuds 17:06 27 May 2012

If you use the bell method, then make sure the collar is the flexible and release type. Many a cat as suffered serious injuries and even death through having the wrong type collar.

If the bird is learning to fly, injured etc, then a bell will be of very little use.

Other birds can be just as much a problem for other birds. A few years ago, we lost some blue tits including one of the adults through house sparrows raiding the nest boxes. We overcame that problem, by reducing the nest box hole size. Still didn't stop the magpies and crows having an attempt at reducing the smaller bird population though!.

I know its hard to say, but in nature, its the fittest that usually survive.

Aitchbee 17:20 27 May 2012

A cat muzzle might do the trick.

NewestRoyWidd1 17:33 27 May 2012

Aitchbee;You obviously know nothing about cats,if you tried to muzzle one you'd A:Be badly clawed,B:Probably traumatise it badly,and C:Deny it's natural instincts to hunt.

BT 18:20 27 May 2012

My cat's a lazy so & so. He just sits and watches birds. The only thing I've seem him chase and catch are flies and the occasional grasshopper. He does chase next door's cat, but as soon as they reach the fence he just gives up. Its like he's saying 'Keep off my patch'.

Aitchbee 18:20 27 May 2012

NewestRoyWidd1..."and C:Deny it's natural instincts to hunt."

That's what Noldi wanted.

BTW. I hate domesticated cats. Much prefer their larger wilder cousins.

Forum Editor 19:51 27 May 2012

We've had this discussion on several previous occasions, and it usually ends up the same way - people want to stop cats behaving naturally.

Nobody seems to complain about the way that fluffy little birds eat live insects.

The natural world (as it's called) is full of animals eating each other. We do it, but we're so sophisticated we employ special people to do the killing on our behalf, so we don't have to commit the act of slaughter ourselves.

john bunyan 20:01 27 May 2012

Yes but in nature there are few wild cats in UK. By breeding, feeding, proecing them and paying for vets etc the balance between cats and birds is way out of kilter, so birds are predated by cats more than they would normalle be.

interzone55 20:35 27 May 2012

I live by a lake, there's 4 or 5 adult cats in the area, and one heron.

So far no ducklings have been killed by the cats, but the heron has caught and killed at least half a dozen over the past month...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?