Cashing in NS&I Premium Bonds

  bumpkin 12:32 30 Apr 2016

I know we are not lawyers but I just wondered if anyone has been in a similar situation and could give some advice. My wife recently passed away and I am trying to plough through all the required paperwork. I have had no problems with bank accounts etc but NS7I require a Grant of Probate to repay Premium bonds.

I don.t know why as I was her husband (no will required I think). How would I obtain one?. It is of course Bank Holiday so am unable to call anyone until Tuesday. Any info at all would give me some insight.

  hastelloy 13:51 30 Apr 2016

Ring your local Probate office - they are usually very helpful.

  bumpkin 14:57 30 Apr 2016

I would do but they are closed until Tuesday, I was just looking for any comments from here that may guide me.

  bumpkin 15:01 30 Apr 2016

To try and clarify, does this mean waiting forever and hundreds of pounds in solicitors and probate fees. I have had enough noses in the trough already, all here to help me when what they really mean is help themselves.

  wee eddie 15:38 30 Apr 2016

The Solicitors dealing with her will, or lack of it, will issue an Order of probate (I think that that is what it's called) in due course.

But you will have to wait. The process can take years see Jarndice v/s Jarndice, but is usually done in 6 months or so.

  bumpkin 16:06 30 Apr 2016

There is no solicitor involved, why is one required?

  wee eddie 16:17 30 Apr 2016

Sorry, I have only ever been involved in the death of a Parent, and Relations. Solicitors and Probate were always involved

  john bunyan 16:34 30 Apr 2016

For an estate of less than about £15000 no probate is needed. Even if probate is needed it is quite easy to apply yourself with no solicitor. I have been executor a couple of times and did not need a solicitor - just a spreadsheet and a bit of searching on Google . Look up probate on Google and come back with queries. If there is no will there are rules on "intestacy " as to who inherits; also on inheritance tax.

  Forum Editor 18:14 30 Apr 2016

You can apply to the NS&I, but if there is no will you'll need to provide a registrar’s copy of your wife's death certificate (not a photocopy).

If the total bond-holding is £5,000 or more they will probably want a Grant of Letters of Administration, but they'll let you know if that's necessary. That document is issued by the Court so that you are permitted to administer your wife's estate if there is no will. You are not automatically allowed to do it just because you are her husband.

They will also require the bonds, or bond certificates.

  bumpkin 18:30 30 Apr 2016

Thanks FE, I have sent them the bonds and death certificate. How do I get the Grant of Letters of Administration which I believe is also called Grant of Probate. Excuse my ignorance but not a good time in my life. Which court and how do I set about it.

  john bunyan 18:50 30 Apr 2016


This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?