Cash Gordon in the 21st Century

Grey Goo 08:45 15 Jun 2009

click here

At the risk of covering another article with "Daily Mail" connections, I just wondered how this proposal (if implemented) sits with anyone who would like to comment. The options seem to be, 1. Hand over your pension and live even more frugally. 2. Die and pay for somebody elses care.

Quickbeam 09:02 15 Jun 2009

3. Don't bother at all to pay into a pension and get everything anyway from social services.

laurie53 09:38 15 Jun 2009

"One thing I've learnt about this government "

Only this government? lol

Also make sure that the the leaks and rumours are of something really draconian, then actually introduce something not quite so draconian and the punters will think you've softened due to public opinion!

Quickbeam 09:44 15 Jun 2009
  dagnammit 10:01 15 Jun 2009

I seriously hope they don't implement this on the back of NI contributions.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:31 15 Jun 2009

Contributions to final care is an idea that has been doing the rounds for some years now, mainly starting when the Government 'suddenly' realised that there was going to be a huge shortfall between historic income received through NI and current income needed to fund already stretched services.

The story seems to be a mish-mash of earlier stories (no surprise there then from the Mail) but it is a very real option from a pot of ever-decreasing options. The Government is in deep trouble money-wise, with the pressing need to borrow huuuuuuge amounts to prop up the country. They will need to borrow huge amounts for the next few years but they will have to increasingly fund a larger proportion of the shortfall themselves.

The ONLY way to do this is by cuts in local and Government spending and/or raise taxes as we have naff all chance of returning to a volume manufacturer unless you think that shelf stackers in supermarkets are in manufacturing. There is no doubt that taxes will rise with the usual suspects targeted (drivers, drinkers) but the situation is worse than feared so cuts will be in every corner. 200 staff at our Shire Hall have been told last week that their jobs are going with the possibility of many more to go.

Anyone working for the Local Authority or Government should be battening down the hatches and starting to curb personal spending as they are going to be in for a very rough ride in the next few months.

G

OTT_Buzzard 11:30 15 Jun 2009

The cynic in me is saying that this is a someone's idea to make Inheritance Tax more publicly acceptable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?