Car tracking device.

rdave13 21:22 30 Oct 2009

Will it become the norm and will it be a good thing or bad thing?
click here

Strawballs 22:31 30 Oct 2009

A lot of companies are already using such devices.
The gas board has it on their vans.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:51 30 Oct 2009

Hire car companies track their vehicles.

I was stopped by the German police when my own company, who hired the car for me, forgot to mention I was taking it out of the country.

rdave13 23:06 30 Oct 2009

It seems more common here than I thought.
Fruit Bat /\0/; luckily you weren't speeding at the time as someone's forgetfulness and the tracking system might have resulted in a fine.
Strawballs- I didn't know companies employed such tracking devices here.
When it becomes law (which it will, no doubt, eventually) to have these tracking devices on all cars (regardless of what the authorities say what info is recorded) will it be a good thing for society or another coffin nail to our privacy?

sunnystaines 03:26 31 Oct 2009

what do i have to hide i this is fitted well cannot think of anything but criminals might.

what do i benefit well may help recover my car if stolen, if i have an accident a black box may help show which car drove too fast or recklessly in some cases.

Strawballs 04:13 31 Oct 2009

A friend of mine said he can tell where all his fitters are, making sure they do the job properly and not rushing it and going home to then log off later.
They get their jobs via a laptop that they plug into a docking station in the van in the morning with an aircard so they only have to go to the depot if they need to collect equipment.

Cymro. 13:05 31 Oct 2009

Personally I was never very bothered by all this talk of "Big Brother" if you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to worry about.

It is the sort of thing that may lead to cheaper insurance premiums, well premiums that don`t increase so quickly in price anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?