car tax exemption

mkennyd 15:54 05 Sep 2008

Can anyone help, iv'e just bought a car, bargain, problem is it had no tax because he was exempt using disability living allowance, how do i get a new tax disc as i wont get a reminder from DVLA , i have insurance, MOT certificates, plus the paperwork of the car.
Anyone help.
Thanks
Mike

beeuuem 16:01 05 Sep 2008

Go to a post office?

carver 16:04 05 Sep 2008

Don't drive it on the road, you will have to get a new tax disc by taking all the documents to a DVLA center or apply for one on-line click here

if you get caught driving without a tax disc you could find that your insurance is invalid.

Once you have applied for one on-line and paid for it then in theory your car is covered to be driven on the road.

bjh 16:06 05 Sep 2008

Or, since you obviously have a computer, try

click here

Direct link to Government Car Tax portal

carver 16:08 05 Sep 2008

click here

Try this link, last one doesn't appear to work.

mkennyd 16:16 05 Sep 2008

carver
Thanks for that, just thought it would have been more complicated as it was taxed for a disabled driver, apparently not.
Many Thanks.
Mike

interzone55 16:31 05 Sep 2008

I don't know about the current procedures, but in the days before the Internet my sister once bought an ex-motobility car and she had to go to a DVLA office to get it taxed, it couldn't be handled at a post office...

WhiteTruckMan 17:08 05 Sep 2008

for the dvla? It should be a case of here's the log book, mot, insurance and some money. please give me a tax disc.

Anything else is just (our) money wasted on needless beaurocracy.

WTM

mkennyd 17:39 05 Sep 2008

alun14
Exactly why i was concerned, i didn't think it was as simple as just going to a Post Office with paperwork.
Still not sure how to go about it.
Mike.

WhiteTruckMan 17:41 05 Sep 2008

and you are applying for a standard rate disc without any form of reduction then it SHOULD be that simple.

WTM

mkennyd 17:53 05 Sep 2008

whitetruckman.
I know what your saying. To much beaucracy (can't spell it) rubbish, Anyway will give it a go at the P Office.
Thanks all the same for your input.
Cheers
Mike.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?