CAR TAX £440 Per Year.!!

charmingman 10:32 27 May 2008

What is going on in this country...
the goverments are realy pushing it, How can they put car tax up so much when they are/have put so many other prices up like petrol/diesel gas/electricity, council tax, shopping, i can see a outcry coming...

click here

newman35 10:42 27 May 2008

Surely the government cannot be blamed for ALL prices going up?
There are some costs (wheat for example, Russian oil/gas) that even poor old Gordon cannot have laid at his door.

anskyber 10:44 27 May 2008

Useful to get the facts right click here from which you will see the top band, the one you quote, applies only to the very worst in terms of pollution.

It's not a new policy and has been around for several years. I think it's right to encourage people to run more efficient cars.

charmingman 10:47 27 May 2008

Come on its a big money scam, since when has the goverment been genuinley intrested in the amount of CO2..?? they knew about the emmissions decades ago & now there just scamming us all with pathetic excuses...

anskyber 10:52 27 May 2008

In spite of the hype many will see a small increase. Take a 1.8 Vectra, hardly a small car. Car tax now £170 car tax in 2009/10 £205.

It's a good policy. I do however think there is room for a reduction in fuel duty to offset the tax gains from the oil price rises.

HondaMan 10:53 27 May 2008

If people can afford to buy the gas guzzlers, they can certainly afford the running costs. The people who will be hardest hit will be rural folk who, without 4X4's will not be able to get about in winter to deal with their business affairs.

What is needed is a system whereby some degree of selection is in force so that those who live in a rural area of necessity, e.g. on a mountain, will pay less. The problem is that, whatever the system is, there will be those that can and will abuse it.

I see one 4X4 each morning on the school run. The driver lives .5 miles away, on a council estate and lives on benefits!

The vehicle, a Range Rover Vogue V8! OK, it is 4 years old, but .............. (defies description ...........)

peter99co 10:54 27 May 2008

The problem is backdating the TAX

"A Labour motion expressing concern at the retrospective changes to the tax has been signed by 25 MPs - 18 of them Labour."

Colin 11:00 27 May 2008

"If people can afford to buy the gas guzzlers, they can certainly afford the running costs."
HondaMan, you've hit the nail on the head. The government knows that it won't make one iota of difference to car use - it's just a revenue raising exercise. It will become even more of a status symbol to drive such cars – “look at me, I’m considerably richer than yow!” (Copyright Harry Enfield)

anskyber 11:06 27 May 2008

"If people can afford to buy the gas guzzlers, they can certainly afford the running costs."

True of some, but not all.

Ultimately, when choosing a car there will be those who may decide to meet the cost because they really must have a particular car. There will be others who choose a different car when the costs are considered and that is what the changes are all about.

I made my decision when I changed my car last November, there will be many others.

Quickbeam 11:18 27 May 2008

"without 4X4's will not be able to get about in winter to deal with their business affairs."

Absolutely, the condition of the mile and a half of highway from our neighbours house to their child's school can be treacherous, verging on impassable at times.

HondaMan 11:44 27 May 2008

"the condition of the mile and a half"

That's walkable unless you live very high up or the north of Scotland and evenm then I would bet a lot of them walk

Possibility of difficult travel is one consideration which should have been taken into account when buying a home. The price they now have to pay for quiet seclusion will be exhorbitant costs of running that 4X4.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017