car remote central locking fails ; any clues?

p;3 13:00 12 Jul 2008

on a Seat Ibiza 1.4 litre car; car WILL lock centrally and manually but will NOT respond to the remote control on the car key; new batteries have already been inserted in the remote control and I can see a light on the key when I click the control but the car will not respond
I found this on a google search but they have had no replies
click here

Has anyone had a similar problem and if so how did you resolve it ?

Simsy 13:07 12 Jul 2008

with my son's Renault Clio...

The receiver is in a module in the roof lining, between the sun visors... It easily pops out. The connectors were dirty/corroded. According to the RAC bloke who attended this is quite common on the Clio, as water can ingress via the hole on the roof where the radio aerial is.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

peter99co 13:14 12 Jul 2008

On a Vauxhall the key reprograms after a battery change by putting it in the ignition. I had to get advice from the Main Agent though. Some keys lose the code if the battery change is prolonged.

p;3 13:25 12 Jul 2008

clutching at straws here but is the unit on the car 'protected' by a fuse that could blow and just needs replacing in the fuse box?

rawprawn 13:41 12 Jul 2008

If you have changed the batteries the remote may need re setting to talk to the cars compter.
The garage should be able to do this no problem. I had a Jaguar, and changed the batteries and had to have the remote reset.

polish 13:43 12 Jul 2008

i agree with peter99co try reprogramming the key first it might be that simple

€dstowe 14:58 12 Jul 2008

Mercs lose their code when the key battery expires and need a dealer re-set (car and keys).

p;3 15:18 12 Jul 2008

some while ago the batteries had to be replaced in the remote but the remote worked perfectly after this; this time the remote lights up when I press it but the car does not respond ;as I said a battery change has made no difference; my Main Dealer has suggested it may be the car needs reprograming ; I have to speak with them again after the week end

Weskit 15:44 12 Jul 2008

Looks like main dealer re-programming... at some cost...

crosstrainer 15:48 12 Jul 2008

I had this with a BMW 7 series, the key and the car had to have dealer attention. I don't think it's going to be a user repairable fault.

Gone are the day's when we could tale our cars and motorcycles to bits ourselves (I used to enjoy It)

Now, it's all plug in module's (:

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:00 12 Jul 2008

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?