Car Parks in Britain - what happens there?

georgemac © 08:43 08 Oct 2007

Having just submitted our first ever motor insurance claim in well over 20 years of motoring, I find myself even more dismayed with our car parks tan I ever have been before. It would seem that a huge quantity of motor insurance claims are made due to incidents in car parks, a lot of which are unreported, i.e. someone just clears off and hopes they will not be caught, others have no witness available.

This article touches on some points click here
and a quote from it "Around 20 per cent of insurance claims for accidents and thefts come from car park incidents and thousands more are never reported,"

click here
this report suggests these incidents cost £2.4 billion per year, and I know friends and relations who have suffered due to car park incidents which were not their fault.

I now believe that all car parks should be covered by CCTV, would help to reduce crime and identify people at fault for car park incidents.

Your thoughts and experiences?

spuds 11:06 08 Oct 2007

Whether things will change when the now talked about 'car park tax' is brought in, we will have to wait and see.

As you rightly say, many 'incidents' occur in car parks. My car was involved in one such incident a few weeks ago, when some boy racer decided that he would reverse out of a parking space at speed before looking. Fortunately, I was present so this young man had no time to do a runner. His attitude was 'so what' until I expressed my views.

Some insurance companies do put investigative teams on some cases regarding car park incidents or hit and runs. The only problem with trying to find the other vehicle can be very time consuming with no guaranteed end results, the innocent victim always seems to end up paying the bill.

There is a scheme already in existence called Safe or something very similar, which guarantees safe protection for parked vehicles, this scheme is usually attached to major shopping areas. One particular scheme in my area that as been running for a number of years now, is very successful. The CCTV system is hooked up to other systems which provides tracking of offenders, in a wide area.

Quickbeam 11:24 08 Oct 2007

A little thought when parking helps a lot. For example, I've just been to the supermarket, I don't park next to workmens vans, battered old cars, where the majority of trolleys cut through, in the farthest unseen corner or near the mother & child spots, etc.

Why... experience of clumsy buggers!

Colin 11:31 08 Oct 2007

It always surprises me that people seem to think that basic rules of the road don't apply in car parks. My local Morrison’s has a huge car park that is well marked, but speed, lane discipline, right of way & indicating seems to go out of the window as soon as some drivers enter it.

If CCTV is introduced in more car parks, I hope it’s of a quality that is useful, instead of the usual poor quality, bleary images.

georgemac © 12:03 08 Oct 2007

I know someone who was in a Tesco carpark, was driving out and was hit by a car exiting the lane marked with a give way sign. The driver gave him his insurance details but also told him it would not matter as it would be "knock for knock" in a car park regardless and that is what the person I knew was told. So perhaps the basic rules of the road do not exist in car parks although I agree totally with your comments.

We were driving out of a car park and were reveresed into by a van which obviously had limited visibility. I have been told by my insurance company they will be vigoursly pursuing the other party for liability, but to be honest I am not holding my breath, maybe I am too cynical. This car has protected no claims, but if it ends up being 50/50, it will affect the policy premium for another car in the family. There were no witnesses, the other party verbally admitted liability but that will possibly men nothing. All insurance companies tell you not to admit liability anyway.

We holiday in the USA, now they know how to build car parks with more space and diagonal bays.

We also have a reverse parking policy at work as do many other companies which I think is better - reversing in is easier than reversing out.

Colin 13:17 08 Oct 2007

georgemac © - you're right, reversing into parking spaces is better, but a lot of people don't do it as it restricts access to the boot of the car when loading shopping etc. Being a pedantic sod, I very rarely let people out who are trying to reverse out of their driveway on to the road. I know it can be difficult to reverse into a driveway when the traffic is busy, but what stops them going out later in the evening to turn the car round? It would probably save them about 5 minutes in the morning waiting for someone to let them out because it takes longer when reversing then driving straight out. And don't get me started on the drivers who don't acknowledge your courtesy!

With regard to accidents on car parks, this "knock for knock" line is a myth. If your car is involved in an accident, it makes no difference if it happened on private or public land.

jack 14:02 08 Oct 2007

Some years ago- en-route to holiday- We called into Fleet services on the M3.
As we returned to our car a young couple who seeming had been sitting on a grassy knoll reading their paperbacks with a thermos flask between them approached us identified themselves as Hampshire Constabulary- and indicated a large rubber burn down the side of our car caused by the vehicle in the next door bay as it exited. I was given details of the incident- and invited to call Aldershot Police if any further action was needed- fortunately the mark polished out and I took it no further.
But boy racers out there and anyone else - you are being watched- not only by CCTV.

Monoux 14:59 08 Oct 2007

jack-- The operative words are "some years ago". I can't see that happening today, it takes the police 24 hours to turn up to robbery never mind about watching & waiting for something to happem as in your example

Stuartli 16:49 08 Oct 2007

Any private roads which are regularly used by the public have, since the early 1990s, been covered by the Road Traffic Act legislation.

These include supermarkets, DIY stores, educational establishments etc.

jack 20:36 08 Oct 2007

Monoux it was 2002 or 3

g0nvs 20:01 09 Oct 2007

We also have a reverse parking policy at work as do many other companies which I think is better - reversing in is easier than reversing out.

Try telling that to some of the lady drivers at my local "Tesco".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

There’s more to Finnish artist Tove Jansson than creating the Moomins

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder la Coupe du monde de rugby à XIII en direct ?