CAR ACCIDENT

MAHMOOD123 21:49 06 Dec 2007

I had a car accident a month ago, it was my fault. i agreed to paying for the damage and chose not to go through insurance. i got her car repaired and she was happy with the work done. now she called me up agin after a month saying shes not happy with work done and nows wants to go through insurance???

Is there anyway in which she can go through insurance???

Jak_1 21:53 06 Dec 2007

In short, yes. Really you should not have admitted guilt and contacted your insurer with all the relevent details. At this stage your insurance company is likely to say it's nothing to do with them as you breached your insurance cover by not telling them!

interzone55 22:00 06 Dec 2007

Not sure of the legalities but I would imagine that you could claim that by accepting your offer of paying for the repair she has lost the chance to claim on insurance.

I think you need to get some legal advice on this

octal 22:06 06 Dec 2007

It's interesting because you are both at fault because neither of you informed your respective insurances, she might have to go through the courts to make a claim against you.

xclr8r 22:25 06 Dec 2007

I agree with alan14, get some legal advice!

It's probably been someone advising her, like a partner or work mate. Telling her she could of claimed for this that and the other.
My own view is you dropped a bit of a clanger offering to repair her car, as you have admitted liabillity straight away. It's amazing what the insurance can counter claim for you even if you firmly believe you are totally in the wrong.
If she has your name on anything that you have signed for or the repairer can identify you, it might be tough. If you are in the clear though that she can not ping you to the police or whatever, tell her to sling her hook. You have fixed the car, she accepted it, end of the matter. How is she going to prove you bumped the car?

crosstrainer 23:30 06 Dec 2007

Phone your solicitor, If you have any kind of written document from other person involved, he, she would find it hard to make a case against you.

Things like garage receipts etc. would help.

sinbads 23:50 06 Dec 2007

Since she has accepted the repair of her car and you have paid the repair bill this is like an out of court settlement. If after 1 month she is not happy with the repair then this is an issue that needs to be resolved with the garage.

WhiteTruckMan 23:59 06 Dec 2007

of all motor insurance in this country that you are required to notify them if you are involved in an accident, regardless of where the blame lies. Provided that you are driving with all documentation in order, then you would have had nothing to fear. If you wanted to settle the matter personally, you merely had to inform the insurance company of this, and no further action would have been taken.

WTM

Forum Editor 00:07 07 Dec 2007

and offered to discharge that liability by paying to repair the damage to the other car. There's nothing wrong with that - it happens many times on a daily basis.

The other party accepted the offer, and furthermore she expressed herself satisfied with the subsequent repair. By her acceptance of your offer her claim against you was settled, and may not later be revived via your insurers. It isn't their fault, or yours, that this person is now unhappy with what a car repairer did.

Quickbeam 00:12 07 Dec 2007

She's probably had a mate in the pub advise her that she can make a personal injury claim. That would require the claim to go through the insurance company.

As has been said, it's better to let the insurers squabble over it, then you don't lose any sleep.

I presume you were hoping to save your no claims bonus. It's better to pay the extra to protect that, then you don't have to worry at all.

Forum Editor 00:17 07 Dec 2007

Technically you're right - at least in part. A car insurance policy is a legal contract, and failure to notify insurers of a potential claim is sufficient grounds for non-renewal. In practice insurers very rarely refuse to renew for failure to notify, however.

You are perfectly at liberty to settle a claim yourself if you wish, and as long as the other party is happy to accept that solution there's no need for you to notify your insurers - there's no potential claim against them.

Nevertheless, if you do settle a claim outside your policy it's a good idea to get the other party to sign a document agreeing that your offer was accepted in full and final settlement of any claim against you, or your insurers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?