Caps lock a waste of keyboard real estate?!

silverous 12:09 17 Aug 2006

This guy thinks so:

click here

At least ridding keyboards of caps lock would probably stop those who "shout" in on-line forums.

Does anyone ever use caps-lock?

GaT7 15:54 17 Aug 2006

Yes, some do - from your link:

"I do desktop publishing, and I sometimes need my CapsLock key. It's awkward at best to type whole sentences using only the shift key, and that's why there IS a CapsLock."

Caps Lock is also required in certain games - Deus Ex (to name one) uses it to toggle between walk & run movements. G

ade.h 16:00 17 Aug 2006

I frequently use it for the reason that G's quote outlines.
And I actually have to when creating text in my image editing program due to a bug.

Mr Mistoffelees 16:42 17 Aug 2006

is an absolutely stupid idea, I use it often. The alternative is to hold the shift key down all the time if you need to type in caps, far more of a pain than a caps lock key. Just what does he think might be put there instead? What is the point of a war on UPPERCASE? Far more important things to get a bee in the bonnet over.

DieSse 17:25 17 Aug 2006

Programmers have Caps Lock on virtually all the time.

silverous 22:43 17 Aug 2006

What kind of programmers? Not any since 1960s languuages ! Java for example hasd mixed case as part of good practice.

wolfie3000 23:32 17 Aug 2006

I for one pulled off my caps lock key out of fustration,
Every time i hit the A key i would press caps lock.

But i guess to some its usefull.

silverous 09:04 18 Aug 2006

Having programmed since I was about 10 years old and studied and worked in IT for the last 15 or so years I have never found need to use it, nor met anyone who did unless they insisted on typing all entries into a system or an email in uppercase...a questionable practice usually.

Having said that, it doesn't bother me having it there but in the same way the evolution works you would imagine the least used keys should eventually go to be replaced by more useful ones ;)

DieSse 11:50 18 Aug 2006

Shows how out-of-date my (miniscule) programming experience is (was?)!

Still, evern for everyday use, I wouldn't want to not have a Caps Lock key. Helps with one-fingered typing 8-))

silverous 11:57 18 Aug 2006

lol..what are you typing with one finger in uppercase? I wouldn't like to be on the receiving end of your letter!?

ONLY JOKING!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?