Cancelling my AOL dialup account

pj123 15:02 03 May 2006

What a palaver.

I have been on NTL Broadband for a couple of years now but have kept my AOL dialup account as a backup.

Have not been able to connect to AOL for about 5 months now. (still paying the monthly fee). Have contacted the Helpdesk a few times (now a paid for service, as opposed to free). Been talked through lots of things including re-installing from the AOL 9 CD. Didn’t help.

My Special Offer contract ends this month, May 2006, so I rung AOL and asked them to cancel my account.

You won’t believe the incentives they offered to keep me on AOL (have been on AOL for 7 years). All of which would cost me more per month than I am already paying.

I kept telling the person on the phone that all I wanted was to cancel the account. After about 20 minutes I think he got the message as he gave me a cancellation code and promptly hung up.

Hopefully, AOL won't take any more monthly fees from me as it is on my Debit Card and I can't cancel it myself.

Totally-braindead 15:15 03 May 2006

Most ISPs insist on one months notice so you may be charged one month more.

pj123 15:22 03 May 2006

Totally-braindead, yes, I realise that. I did mention it to the person I was speaking to that after the May subscription was paid I wouldn't be charged any more. He said "it is cancelled with immediate effect".

Which I have written down, along with the Cancellation number and his name.

pj123 13:46 04 Jun 2006

No subscription taken by AOL for may.

Account now closed.

Ticked.

wee eddie 14:09 04 Jun 2006

well done. I was convinced that you would have some problem or other.

It's good to hear when things go to plan.

CurlyWhirly 18:38 04 Jun 2006

"Hopefully, AOL won't take any more monthly fees from me as it is on my Debit Card and I can't cancel it myself"

I didn't take the chance when I migrated to Zen as I contacted my bank and requested that that debit card be blocked and a new one be sent out to me with a different card number so AOL couldn't use the same card details!

It didn't cost the bank anything as my debit card expired at the end of July anyway so was due to be replaced.

I'm not saying that money would have continued to be taken out of my account but I have read stories where this does occasionally happen.
Also when I was with them they wouldn't let me change my payment plan from debit card to direct debit made me a little suspicious.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone