Can we save the CRT monitor or is it too late??

JYPX 23:35 27 Jul 2004

Ok. I might just be right out on my own with these views, but... there is something - just not quite right - about TFT monitors.
1. Even though TFT's ARE slowly improving I can't look at one without feeling that there is a piece of gauze stretched over the surface.
2. The latest models can display video, (yes - movement!!) to a standard approaching CRT standards. Translation: get a CRT if you love to edit video.
3. Anyone under the age of 20, walking into PC World, will assume that TFT is the absolute norm, supplied as standard - always - with a desktop pc. When was this decision made, and by whom? Was it the marketing guys, on the basis that a TFT "looks so cool" on your desk? Or was the decision based on warehousing costs? (1 x CRT in box = several TFT's in box = £££££ ).
4. This is the most worrying bit. The PC mags (including my favourite one) are reviewing a whole load of new model TFT's and giving them very strong recomendations - and will even describe the image as "good for a TFT"! Meanwhile the current CRT's (of truly astounding quality) from Mitsubishi, and Iiyama are banished to the back pages. Come on guys - tell us the truth and to hell with fashion......
5. Yes, yes, yes, I am well aware that my steel reinforced desk looks really silly, but not as silly as I will look when I attempt to carry my next 20" monitor out to the car park at PC World.
Oh well.....

Forum Editor 00:03 28 Jul 2004

I work with images a good deal, and many of them are for print media. The colour rendering has to be spot on, and for this kind of work I maintain there's nothing to touch a good CRT monitor. I use 21" Samsung monitors for this aspect of my work.

For everything else, give me a good TFT display any time. The one I use (AOC 19") provides a picture quality that can only be described as superb and the definition is as good, if not better than the Samsung CRT. The screen is bright, colour rendition is very good, and there's absolutely no question of a piece of guaze being anywhere in sight. These displays have come on by leaps and bounds over the past two years, and they can rival all but the very best CRT monitors now.

Choose your display to suit your work - there's no hard and fast rule - but do not discount a good-quality TFT. You'll be doing yourself out of quite a treat if you do.

Forum Editor 00:05 28 Jul 2004

I do of course mean gauze.

Chegs ® 02:31 28 Jul 2004

I also have a "reinforced steel desk" as I have a 21" NEC CRT.Couriers seem to have an abject dislike of my love for these type of monitors(I have two 21")as both have been damaged in transit.I dislike TFT's,they're overpriced and always look tacky.

ventanas 11:41 28 Jul 2004

Same here. From what I've seen the CRT is still far superior in display quality, and you don't have to be right in front of it either.

oresome 17:03 28 Jul 2004

In a domestic situation, space is usually at a premium. I would sacrifice some loss of quality for the much smaller overall size. However, for most applications I think the quality is equal or better, so no contest.

Certainly the geometry and the focus and convergance in the corners is superior on my cheapo tft compared with the previous cheapo crt.

Forum Editor 18:25 28 Jul 2004

You've been looking at the wrong TFTs Chegs ®.

Mine is a thing of beauty, and the display would leave most CRTs standing in terms of crispness. I use it for all my day-to-day work now, and only revert to the big CRTs for the aforementioned purposes.

I predict that within two years most people will be using TFT displays unless they have a specific reason for sticking to a CRT. The saving in terms of desk space is veery worthwhile, and the display quality on a good TFT is stunning.

€dstowe 18:45 28 Jul 2004

It's a very personal thing. I wouldn't give a TFT screen a second look if I could avoid it. Several of my staff are exactly opposite in their viewpoint.

€d

Chegs ® 02:51 29 Jul 2004

Do the latest TFT's still suffer from dead pixels?

As €dstowe has said, "It's a very personal thing."

I use my PC mainly for video/image editing followed closely by surfing the net and gaming.I started with a 15" CRT,which I replaced with a 19" CRT then onto the 21".I used to frequent computer fairs regularly until last year,and was planning on switching over to a TFT until I kept hearing folk complain about their problems with dead pixels.I used to wander round the fairs looking at the TFT's and engage the sellers in conversation about their wares,especially if I spotted a brand new TFT with a few. :-)

Scillonia 08:38 29 Jul 2004

I have recently attempted to donate some CRT monitors from work to charity, only to find some will only accept TFT screens, found this very strange.

Djohn 11:24 30 Jul 2004

Dead pixels are now few and far between though you may just be unlucky enough to buy one that has this fault. Some CRT monitors also arrive with a fault as you yourself mention in your post above.

I too have an AOC TFT but the 17" model, it really is superb to view. Like yourself and many others I also worried if my new TFT would have any faulty pixels on purchase, I needn't have, the shop opened the box and tested the monitor for me before purchase.

All the major suppliers of TFT panels have different guidelines as to how many and what type of faulty pixel must be showing before you can return it for replacement. Don't worry about this though, If your monitor is faulty (Any reason) You have 14 days to return to shop for full refund, no questions asked.

This applies to PC World, Comet, Staples and all the on-line suppliers as well. No need to say your returning because it has a fault, just a matter of you have changed your mind and would like a refund please. Must be within the 14 days though.

If your monitor is pixel perfect on delivery, remains so for the first week of use then the chance of it developing faulty pixels is very slight, it will also still carry the three year warranty for any other problem or if the display eventually develops dead pixels to a degree more than the allowed amount.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?