Can we really blame the Spanish for having a go?

Cymro. 14:32 01 Apr 2017

BBC News link

I think it's some time since the subject of Gibraltar last came up on this Forum. So what are we to make of it all now that BREXIT is with us? The UK has said it will stand up for Gibraltar's interests after the territory accused Spain of using Brexit to forward its territorial aims. Can we really blame Spain if it tries to forward its territorial aims regarding Gibraltar. YES! yes! I do know that the people of Gibraltar don't wish to become Spanish citizens but do we really think that Spain should just let go the even the least chance of starting an argument about who owns Gibraltar.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:22 01 Apr 2017

Just another example of Europe trying to squeeze as much out of us as possible.

Quickbeam 17:55 01 Apr 2017

This is Spain acting unilaterally, we shouldn't be surprised at all.

When I mentioned this among other things a year ago I was castigated as a scare monger.

The chickens are coming home to roost.

Quickbeam 17:56 01 Apr 2017

Brexit will be anything but a simple leaving.

Forum Editor 18:11 01 Apr 2017

"The chickens are coming home to roost."

You can hardly complain that you were castigated as a scaremonger when that's exactly what you seem to be doing.

Of course Spain is going to raise the subject - we shouldn't be surprised as you say, but the Spanish government knows it is on a hiding to nothing. Gibraltar was ceded to Britain by treaty, and that hasn't changed. It's a British Crown Colony, and Gibraltarians do not want to be governed by Spain. There's no reason why we should do the dirty on them, just because some Spanish politicians fancy trying their luck.

morddwyd 19:36 01 Apr 2017

This is an example of the consequences of hastily drafted documents, and the inexperience of Teresa May.

Both Gibraltar and the Northern Ireland border should have been specifically excluded in the Article 50 letter since they are sovereign issues which she has now placed in EU hands.

Quickbeam 20:17 01 Apr 2017

The PM would surely have been advised by senior civil servants, they're the experts.

Sir Humphrey may have to take gardening leave.

rickf 09:51 02 Apr 2017

To me the answer is no. were on the other foot we would do the same.

oresome 10:20 02 Apr 2017

The EU army hasn't got off the ground yet.

Perhaps we should invade Spain now and then negotiate a settlement from a position of strength.

It'll be all over by the time the other member states have formulated a response.

morddwyd 10:22 02 Apr 2017

"The PM would surely have been advised by senior civil servants, they're the experts."

My point exactly. Comedy aside, these things take time.

She committed to a firm date too early, and the letter had to be drafted with indecent haste.

You's have thought she'd have learned from Cameron not to make unresearhed firm commitments.

Cymro. 11:22 02 Apr 2017

So it's the people of Gibraltar's right to decide but are we denying the Scots that very same right? Yes I know that's simplistic but still!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

How to find a font: Discover the name of a typeface with these apps

The best iPhone for 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)