Can Social Networks Grow Without Translation?

ZOverLord 17:55 27 Dec 2006

Can large international social networks grow to levels they could without language translation?

Is it a bad thing to try and use current technology to do real time language translation to help motivate others to improve this technology?

Here is one example of an attempt. It is far from perfect, but maybe it will help others start working on this technology to connect these fractured international social networks:

click here

spikeychris 19:36 27 Dec 2006

I wouldn't say fractured international social networks; social networks tend to work around a group of like minded people. I love the tech advancement though.

Forum Editor 23:49 27 Dec 2006

social networks, but I certainly like the fact that Google will often offer to translate a foreign-language web page for me. It doesn't make such a bad job of it, either.

Apron 05:41 28 Dec 2006

FE
Would you tell me how that works please?

Forum Editor 07:01 28 Dec 2006

When you get a list of search returns from Google you'll often see a hyperlink alongside a foreign language return - it says 'translate this page'.

Click on it and you'll get an English language translation. It doesn't work with all languages yet, but they're adding new ones all the time.

Apron 07:10 28 Dec 2006

Thank you very much that's a wonder. Do you ever sleep? Are you a robot? Are you tired? Would you like an OBE or anything?

Forum Editor 23:38 28 Dec 2006

Every night,no,often,yes.

bof:) 23:48 28 Dec 2006

I'd suggest a Knighood :-)

Jak_1 04:42 29 Dec 2006

Another good place for language translation is Bablefish.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?