Can opener

wmoore 18:25 19 Oct 2008

Where can I buy a decent can opener from, all the ones I have brought so far don't open cans that well.

bluto1 18:31 19 Oct 2008

We got our electric one from Argos about 6 years ago. Didn't cost an arm and a leg and is still going strong.

John B 18:50 19 Oct 2008
  dagbladet 18:55 19 Oct 2008

I got one from the pound shop about three years ago that works absolutely fine.

Stuartli 18:59 19 Oct 2008

We have the Tesco Value can opener (was £1.47 when purchased), which is a solidly built and very efficient product.

Certainly it's superior to some far more expensive openers bought in the past that have not lasted as long as one would expect, nor been very good at their role.

laurie53 20:10 19 Oct 2008

Thought the thread was about tank destroyers!

However, the "One Touch" electric openers, widely available under different brand names, does exactly what it says on the label.

Covergirl 21:13 19 Oct 2008

click here

I'm not biased towards any particular brand, but I find they do need a little WD40 (or similar) around the axes every 6 months or so to stop them sticking.

Bingalau 23:19 19 Oct 2008

Will it open all those tinned tomato's I wonder?

newman35 00:08 20 Oct 2008

I sincerely hope not!!

Quickbeam 08:25 20 Oct 2008

I don't need one for my tinned tomatoes bought cheap, as they are not cheap tinned tomatoes, they are premium tinned tomatoes with a built in ring pull...

BT 08:41 20 Oct 2008

"I don't need one for my tinned tomatoes bought cheap, as they are not cheap tinned tomatoes, they are premium tinned tomatoes with a built in ring pull..."

...and that's another story!
What a pain some of these ring pull cans are. Its almost impossible to do it with a one finger and you still need some sort of gadget to get hold of the things, most of which are pretty useless. I find the easiest way is to put a fork or spoon handle through the ring and with 2 fingers each side it comes off quite easily.

We use the same style can opener as Covergirl. We've had it years. Have you looked carefully around the cutting wheel of yours lately. Its amazing how much 'crud' builds up despite washing up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017