Can I do a bit of downloading

Forum Editor 06:53 05 Oct 2007

on your broadband connection?

click here

i disabled the wireless on my home hub some time ago as many many people at work use laptops at home without an internet connection. one person didnt even know they had to have one and thought the laptop 'just worked'?

tullie 08:00 05 Oct 2007

So are they stealing someone elses bandwidth?

WhiteTruckMan 08:18 05 Oct 2007

FON that pca are trying to push their subsciptions with?-thanks, but definitely no thanks! (I'll stick to my free mp3 player-like glue-when it eventually arrives)

WTM

i thought about this some time ago. my idea was in your street get all your neighbours to agree to split broadband costs and install wireless broadband in every other house(or whatever). then everybody has internet access at a fraction of the cost. and it wont be bandwidth stealing as its consented.and of course secure it and only allow paying people to access the network..probably been done already but i thought it was a good idea :) kind regards akanic

dagbladet 09:16 05 Oct 2007

I think somebody is already using my broadband. The 'wlan' light sometimes flashes away like mad on the router when our own upstairs laptop is switched off. I've got the WPA set up but it makes no difference. Sometimes I just unscrew the stubby ariel a couple of turns and the light stops flashing.

crosstrainer 10:17 05 Oct 2007

PC's and a laptop, all connected, all file and print sharing, and....all locked down tight, and that is the way it will remain....Even though I live in an area where only one other wireless network exist's (Which I set up for my next door neighbour) I simply would not take the chance.

Want to download a few files? Pop round and use one of my PC's!

Strawballs 18:35 05 Oct 2007

Good idea in principle but the more people in possesion of the encryption key the more chance of it leaking out and becoming a free for all. I don't even let my grown up kids know mine, when my son came home with a laptop I set it up for him I wouldn't tell him.

Forum Editor 18:37 05 Oct 2007

This service isn't really aimed at the corporate market, but at home users. I first heard about it in America, where there are thousands of these Fon sharing hotspots, and I have since discovered at least one in Hong Kong.

BT has entered into a partnership with the company (which is Spanish), so we'll see. The company tells me that security is pretty tight - your sharing channel is separate from the personal one, which is obviously encrypted.

Forum Editor 19:23 05 Oct 2007

is that it's fairly expensive to set up. Interestingly, Scientists at the University of California have developed a long-range wireless network technology that's being used by hospitals in India. It's a point-to-point system that has been successfully tested over very long distances. Tests caried out in Venezuela achieved a 6 megabits per second connection between two computers over a distance of 384 kilometres.

In India the system is in daily use to connect hospitals over 40 miles apart at very low cost.

josie mayhem 22:25 05 Oct 2007

I must admit even though I already share my BB conection, I think that would be very warey of sharing my BB with anyone that was passing....

But

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone