Cameron has it in for Lilly Allen

Quickbeam 08:12 19 Feb 2010

click here WOW... Britain must surly be broken then. Or, why has he only noticed that Lilly Allen's lyrics are on the edge of real life?

I remember asking my dad in the '60 to explain the The Kinks 'Lola' unsuitability when he told my older sisters that I mustn't be allowed to hear it!

And I'm sure there were parents in the '90s that were asked about the ambiguity of Blur's 'Girls & Boys' lyrics. But life as we know it survived...

canarieslover 08:28 19 Feb 2010

I don't think it's personal. He's the same as your dad was in the 60's, trying to protect his childrens' childhood for as long as he can. I don't blame him as children seem to be pushed into adulthood nowadays before they've had time to play.

morddwyd 09:17 19 Feb 2010

Don't recall anyone trying to ban "Happy Birthday, Sweet Sixteen" in the 50s/60s though just about the whole of the record buying world knew what the lyrics referred to!

Awshum 09:27 19 Feb 2010

I didn't know that song and just looked, if my interpretation is correct that is shocking!

canarieslover 09:47 19 Feb 2010

At least he waited until she was officially an adult. In some US states it could have been Happy Birthday, Sweet Thirteen!!!!

wee eddie 11:01 19 Feb 2010

In the 60's, UK and USA, 16 was the age that one was allowed to make a number of personal choices. As "canarieslover" has said, in some States of the USA, one reaches Majority at 13.

In the UK, it was 12 for many centuries.

In most Countries the age of Majority, ability to Vote, Fight, have sex, get married, drive a car, drink alcohol, is an Economic decision made by the Ruling Elite, and has little to do with anything. In some States the local Spiritual Leaders try to get their oar in as well as the Temporal Authorities. But even in this day and age, it varies throughout an 8 year spread and most everyone either agrees, or disagrees, with their local set-up depending on their needs and desires at the time.

Joseph Kerr 11:01 19 Feb 2010

lily allen, i think, yould argue that she doesnt make music for 6 year olds.

i mean...six!

Covergirl 12:26 19 Feb 2010

If Cameron had bothered to read the sticker "Parental Advisory" then scanned the track listing . . .

There are a lot worse lyrics out there than Lily Allen - anybody here heard of Eminem for example.

Lots more to choose from but the BBC usually manages to blank out the offending words - it's of my opinion that if they have to blank something out they shouldn't bother playing it at all.

Quickbeam 12:36 19 Feb 2010

"lily allen, i think, yould argue that she doesnt make music for 6 year olds."
Is the nail hit square on the head.

I personally think her lyrical interpretation of modern society, is as avant guard as Ray Davies singing about the swinging '60s or Lou Reed singing about the seedy New York scene of the same period... she's a lyrical genius.

Joseph Kerr 11:56 20 Feb 2010

in fact, she pretty much said as much on an episode of "...Buzzcocks". Another panelist commented how there could be a "clean" version of her album for her daughter and allen said, "well i didnt make it for her".

tho i appreciate its difficult, but what can you do save for implement a certification system as with films, and i wouldnt approve of that.

canarieslover 12:17 20 Feb 2010

And now a Government report seems to back Cameron's views.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache