Camera hire

Quickbeam 11:08 04 Aug 2008

Anyone had cause to hire a camera?

I flogged my last kit, Konica Minolta 7D before the value plummeted too much. But a high spec compact serves my own needs OK. Trouble is I promised to do a friends wedding pictures a couple of years ago and he has come to me in expectation!

I'm not going to buy a camera for a one off day, so I'm thinking of a hire kit for it...

crosstrainer 11:21 04 Aug 2008

click here

I can't vouch for the site, as I have my own kit, but looks promising. If you lived in Wales you could borrow some of mine :))

crosstrainer 11:50 04 Aug 2008

I can reccomend the 2 in this link though...Take superb photo's, burn them to disk, and let people choose the ones they want to print. Did this at a wedding myself a couple of years ago, and it worked really well.

We also found a website that allows you to upload the images in thumbnail form then choose the ones you like best...Sadly, they memory isn't what it used to be, and I think the groom organised this anyway...Will try to find it for you.

click here

crosstrainer 12:07 04 Aug 2008

I think this is the site, at the reception every guest had a card with a login name so that we did not have to produce loads of DVD's. I burned one copy for the couple who then uploaded the pictures they wanted to the site below.

Guest's then chose the ones they wanted...If I remember correctly, it's time limited to about 3 weeks or so.

click here

Quickbeam 12:08 04 Aug 2008

Thanks for that link.

There is another option I've just thought of, the man that bought my kit didn't want one of the lenses (18/70) or the flash which will be compatible with the Sony Alpha replacements. I'm thinking if I buy a Sony body and flog that after the event, the depreciation over a month or two will be less than the hire cost. That gives me the advantage of being fully familiar with the camera on the day...

I really must think about open promises more carefully:)

crosstrainer 12:11 04 Aug 2008

Go digital my friend, it's just so much more flexible!

Quickbeam 12:22 04 Aug 2008

No question on that, I bought my last kit for my nephews wedding in '05, but just couldn't regain the interest I used to have to bother carting an dslr kit about with me up mountainsides when a decent compact fits in a shirt pocket...

It's handy for me that Sony maintained the full backwards compatibility with the Minolta/Konica Minolta, accessory range.

crosstrainer 12:28 04 Aug 2008

I know what you mean. I also have a Samsung 8mg pixel compact which is easy to carry around. But with more time on my hands now (and a good quality over the shoulder camera bag) I do take my DSLR's with me when I walk the dog's etc.

They do take some setting up and getting used to, but once you have it nailed it sticks.

It's that old "Oh I really wish I had my camera with me" adage that applies :))

Kemistri 12:39 04 Aug 2008

I often hire lenses, but I have never hired a body. Hopefully, I will never need to, since that could only mean that something very bad had befallen my gear!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?