A camera to catch a bomber?

Cymro. 13:05 30 Jun 2007

There have over the months been many complaints on this forum and elsewhere about human

rights, big brother society etc. One of the things often complained about are the abundance

of closed circuit TV cameras everywhere. So now that it is obvious that the police rely very

much on them to catch such people as terrorists who leave car bombs in central London and

elsewhere, what have the people who complain about such surveillance techniques have to to now?

anskyber 13:10 30 Jun 2007

Cymro.

Honest, a polite request. The extra line breaks you put into your posts make it very hard to read. Any chance you could use ordinary spacing, please?

Stuartli 13:12 30 Jun 2007

Agree with anskyber..:-)

I have never personally had any qualms about the use of CCTV - we will probably never know just how many crimes have been solved with their employment.

Kate B 13:33 30 Jun 2007

yes, yes, I've often thought that about your posting, Cymro, but am too polite to mention it ...

I'm in two minds about the extensive CCTV network. It does help catch criminals, but at the same time I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the idea that we're all too naughty not to be supervised at all times. It's invasive of privacy.

Forum Editor 13:44 30 Jun 2007

"It's invasive of privacy."

I'm not sure. There's a reason we have CCTV cameras everywhere - it's because a lot of us are too naughty not to be supervised at all times. If street crime wasn't so common, and if we were all prepared to pay for more police on the streets there wouldn't be a need for the cameras.

Exprience shows that they are very helpful in preventing/detecting crime, and I'm in favour. Frankly I couldn't care less if I'm being watched - I'm unlikely to do anything in a public place that I wouldn't want others to see.

Cymro. 13:46 30 Jun 2007

I can`t possibly refuse anskybers most polite request especially when it is backed up by Stuartli+Kate B.

I got in to the habit of posting in that way because I honestly thought it made my postings easier to read. It seems not, so I will try to remember to do otherwise.

I notice others on the forum use the same double line spacing in their posts. So perhaps others can let me know which they prefer. Does this mean that I am hijacking my own thread?

anskyber 13:58 30 Jun 2007

It could be an invasion of privacy, I am nonetheless more than happy to be watched on the basis I have nothing to fear. Endless pictures of me staring into flat screen TV shops and the like will however scarcely make for riveting viewing.

In my previous workplace I was responsible for bringing in a CCTV system for the Council area and as a result had to read endless guidance on the use of CCTV kit. There are significant restrictions on the use of CCTV (in protocols).

In effect a Police Officer on the street is performing the same task, just in a human form. It's also a mistake to assume there are endless operatives watching our every itch and scratch, there are not so many actually monitoring in real time as might be thought.

In the vast majority of cases cameras are nothing more than witnesses.

anskyber 13:59 30 Jun 2007

You are a star, very many thanks.

Cymro. 14:10 30 Jun 2007

Like all of us I would prefer more policemen on the streets. But one good thing about a C.C. TV system is that it usually has some sort of built in memory, and with all respect to the boys in blue, that is more then can be said for many a policeman. You can go back to re check an image from a camera time and time again and put it out on national television for everyone to see if they recognize someone in it.

Totally-braindead 14:30 30 Jun 2007

For a few years I worked security for the council and we had 32 cameras on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week 365 days a year in a housing area that had a lot of problems, all were taped and held for one month. The cameras couldn't see in peoples houses or anything like that they were just in common areas and when we got up and running crime and vandalism, within the area we covered dropped dramatically and by this I mean by around 90%.
The only people who complained about it were those that committed the crimes and now had a very good chance to get caught and had to go elsewhere to create trouble. Many of the older people in particular were so grateful they were almost kneeling and kissing your feet, an exageration I know, but when you live in an area that has so much trouble that you are trapped in your home because of crime then the feeling of being able to go out and about again was like winning the lottery to some of them, or an early release from some sort of prison.

Kate B of course has a point, it could be classed as an infringement on your rights or liberties or however you want to describe it. But when you took an area like I worked in and within 6 months it had gone from a war zone to what I would describe as a more normal place to live I have to ask where would you rather be. Living in an area with high crime or an area where you can wander about relatively safely? Cameras or no cameras?

Make your own mind up about which place you would prefer to live. The stories I could tell about some of the things that happened. But I don't think they would be allowed within the Forum rules. I personally don't mind cameras, they make me feel safer, this might not be true I might not be safer but it makes me feel that way.

MrNerdy 14:37 30 Jun 2007

Lets do away with CCTV & let every nutter, loony & bomber carry out what ever they want to do.
It is here to stay & to keep us safe, of course if you dont like it tough!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?