Calzaghe targets two-weight glory

sunny staines 18:26 04 Nov 2007

was looking forward to watching on fight night on itv. but it wasn't on having been bought by one of the pay per view channels most disappointed.

we missing a lot of good sports viewing now unless you pay up front to these channels.

tammer 20:13 04 Nov 2007

Ironically, I get setanta for free as I subscribe to other sports channels (with Virgin Media) so I was able to watch the fight without paying any extra.

VoG II 20:37 04 Nov 2007

I'm afraid that I've long since interest in watching two grown men trying to inflict brain damage on their opponent - because that is what it amounts to, whether the damage is reversible or not.

Neither do I care for bull fighting, cock fighting, dog fighting, badger baiting, hare coursing, fox hunting and so on.

Perhaps I'm a wimp?

wolfie3000 23:25 04 Nov 2007

Im with you on this VOG.

Forum Editor 23:33 04 Nov 2007

Perhaps, and perhaps I'm one, too, because I agree with every word of your post. Boxing is a barbaric 'sport' and should have been banned years ago.

We fancy ourselves as being a civilised society, we have no hesitation in castigating those awful Spaniards for their habit of fighting bulls, yet we continue to allow two men to stand in a ring and hit each other in the head in front of an audience of overexcited spectators, most of whom long for one of the protagonists to be knocked to the floor, unconcious.

sunny staines 14:10 05 Nov 2007

we all like different sports, mine is boxing.

DieSse 19:54 05 Nov 2007

"we have no hesitation in castigating those awful Spaniards for their habit of fighting bulls, yet we continue to allow two men to stand in a ring and hit each other in the head in front of an audience of overexcited spectators...."

The bulls don't have a choice - the men do.

Totally-braindead 19:58 05 Nov 2007

Sorry but I must be a member of the wimp brigade.

Boxing is the only sport where the purpose of it is to beat your opponents brains out and I have no interest in watching it.

wellshgit 20:01 05 Nov 2007

The difference between boxing and bullfighting, fox hunting, hare coursing etc. is the fact that the animals have no choice, unlike boxers who are well aware of the risks they take.
So congratulations to Joe. Long may you reign!!!!!

Forum Editor 20:13 05 Nov 2007

who are well aware of the risks they take"

Really? You surprise me, I would have thought that the average boy starting out on a boxing career hasn't a clue about the risks he takes - his head is full of dreams of glory. Unfortunately the boxing business doesn't seem short of people who are quite prepared to encourage such youngsters to place themselves at risk. In my opinion there's nothing sporting about a contest in which the whole idea is to knock your opponent unconcious, or at the very least to hit him repeatedly about the head and abdomen in order to score points, whilst a cheering crowd gets entertainment from watching you fight each other.

Spark6 21:04 05 Nov 2007

There are hundreds of examples of boxers who have been perfectly OK after a career in this sport. I recall my wife telling me of a little old man she saw in the local doctor's surgery who she thought looked as if he had been a boxer. When she described him I pointed out to her that she had had the privilige of being in the same room as the legendary Jimmy Wilde. This was in Barry in the late 1950's.

I'm with sunny staines on this one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?