Calling all char wallahs

Quickbeam 08:42 12 Apr 2010

genuine NAAFI tea is now available click here

You no longer have to put up with the civvy street brands, the real thing is now available on the streets...

morddwyd 08:49 12 Apr 2010

I seem to remember a familiar epithet was "You're about as much use as a cup of Naafi tea" or "You're as weak as a cup of Naafi tea".

Anyway, char wallahs normally used some concoction of their own, which was always much stronger than "official" blends.

Brumas 09:10 12 Apr 2010

Would that be with or without the bromide? ;o))

Quickbeam 10:22 12 Apr 2010

Personally I can't stand the flavour of tea anyway, it's coffee eveytime for me.

jakimo 10:52 12 Apr 2010

apparently Coffee does have some unhealthy side effects

click here

Bingalau 11:41 12 Apr 2010

Naafi boasting about how it serves the troops all over the world, doesn't mean much to me. Naafi were the only organisation allowed to serve in military establishments and it is probably run by ex-Field Marshals; Admirals and Air marshals etc. But when it came to getting tea and sticky buns to the troops in the jungles of the far east. Guess who was always as near the front line as anybody? Why the good old Salvation Army of course.
Naafi boasts that it puts cash back in to service funds, but from what I can remember it wasn't an awful lot. Sally army tea was a much better quality than the rubbish served by Naafi too.

interzone55 11:52 12 Apr 2010

I once found myself in the middle of nowhere on the Afghan / Pakistan border in the late 80's.

It was chai-time, so one of the tribes people poured a box of co-op 99 tea into a big pan, he then pounded some sugar-cane and poured the juice into the big pan.

Next he parked a goat over the pan and milked it straight into the mixture, which was then stewed for an hour or so.

In the words of Douglas Adams it tasted almost, but not quite, totally unlike tea...

Bingalau 12:11 12 Apr 2010

Alan14. Sounds a bit like Naafi tea to me.

mole44 12:29 12 Apr 2010

Ah thanks Brumas,now i know where my problem comes from,as i liked my tea quite strong.

Condom 12:34 12 Apr 2010

Brumas
If memory serves me well it should be bromine which is the salt and not bromide. Mind you at my age it wouldn't really matter one way or the other these days. If I'm wrong I stand corrected.

Bapou 16:12 12 Apr 2010

Nearest NAAFI to our Company was about 15 miles away. Not that bothered us one little bit, at 1030 hrs on the dot The Salvation Army's mobile canteen arrived at the MT lines.

My preference was a mug of strong sweet cocoa and a large eccles. Bliss!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017