Call to scrap 'illegal databases

peter99co 20:04 23 Mar 2009

Makes your hair stand on end. (well it does mine)

click here

wiz-king 21:31 23 Mar 2009

Why - think you are on them? *grin*

peter99co 22:41 23 Mar 2009

The government spends £16bn a year on databases and plans to spend a further £105bn on projects over five years but does not know the precise number of the "thousands" of systems it operates, the trust claims.

Stuartli 00:17 24 Mar 2009

Do you really think that Big Brother will bow to public pressure and curtail its involvement with information held on databases?

DrScott 00:27 24 Mar 2009

is that the government doesn't really know what to do with all this data. Nor how to adequately protect it.

Cymro. 11:09 24 Mar 2009

So what is it with so many people on and off this forum that they are so obsessed with their own personal privacy? We live in a modern world that could not function as it does without such things as these databases.

What is it that we are suppose to be so afraid of. Is it that we have something to hide or are people just being awkward for the sake of being awkward and only too glad to find another excuse to criticise the government of the day.

This is the way of the modern world and such databases will only become even more common as the years go by. I am sure we have many much more threatening things than this to worry about.

peter99co 12:00 24 Mar 2009

A quarter of all government databases are illegal

The UK's "database state" wastes billions from the public purse and often breaches human rights laws

Esc4p3 12:30 24 Mar 2009

but I am not worried that my name is on some government database. In the company I work for we are 'taught' to try not to "recreate the wheel", if someone has done it before then if possible use what they have done and modify for own use, it makes perfect business sense. But the Gov do not seem to follow this train of thought and choose to keep recreating databases and doing unneccessary extra work....and that does annoy me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?