Bushisms

Bingalau 12:44 06 Nov 2008

While large corners of the world are busy celebrating Obama's presidential victory there will be some people feeling slightly deflated to see George Bush step down as US president.
Over the past eight years Bush has provided us with endless amusement as a result of his faux pas or ‘Bushisms' as they've been dubbed. Here are twenty of our favourites.

20. "Those who enter the country illegally violate the law." - Nov. 28, 2005

19. "We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans." - Sept. 6, 2000

18. "If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." - Dec. 19, 2000

17. "Well, I think if you say you're going to do something and don't do it, that's trustworthiness." - Aug. 30, 2000

16. "I think we agree, the past is over." - May 10, 2000

15. "I understand small business growth. I was one." - Feb. 19, 2000

14. "This foreign policy stuff is a little frustrating." - April 23, 2002

13. "I want everybody to hear loud and clear that I'm going to be the president of everybody." - Jan. 18, 2001

12. "One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures." - Jan. 3, 2000

11. "I was proud the other day when both Republicans and Democrats stood with me in the Rose Garden to announce their support for a clear statement of purpose: you disarm, or we will." - Oct. 5, 2002

10. "I just want you to know that when we talk about war, we're really talking about peace." - June 18, 2002

9. "I'm honored to shake the hand of a brave Iraqi citizen who had his hand cut off by Saddam Hussein." - May 25, 2004

8. "I firmly believe the death tax is good for people from all walks of life all throughout our society." - Aug. 13, 2002

7. "There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again." - Sept. 17, 2002

6. "The truth of that matter is, if you listen carefully, Saddam would still be in power if he were the president of the United States, and the world would be a lot better off." - Oct. 8, 2004

5. "I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully." - Sept. 29, 2000

4. "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." - Aug. 5, 2004

3. "Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" - Jan. 11, 2000

2. "I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family." - Jan. 27, 2000

1. "They misunderestimated me." - Nov. 6, 2000

€dstowe 13:27 06 Nov 2008

Nucular (or is it Nukular)

Si_L 13:36 06 Nov 2008

What does number 5 even mean?!

medicine hat 13:42 06 Nov 2008

Missing him already

DippyGirl 13:47 06 Nov 2008

Message from/to the mother-ship ??

Last "agent" played for Man.U (and others)
..."when the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea".

Clapton is God 14:31 06 Nov 2008

And then there was the time that Dubya met Charlotte Church:

"Where are you from?" he asked her.

"Wales" she replied.

"Which State is that in?" asked Dubya.

Stuartli 14:44 06 Nov 2008

>>.."feeling slightly deflated to see George Bush step down as US president.">>

Somehow I don't quite think that will be the case...:-)

babybell 14:59 06 Nov 2008

I'll never forget when Bush was taking part in a live debate and it was clear that he was being fed information on what to say through an ear piece when at one point when addressing the audience he started stumbling on his words and then said out loud "Will you let me finish" They then tried to deny that he was being spoken to secretly!

babybell 15:05 06 Nov 2008

You Tube clip of what I was talking about above.

click here

Seth Haniel 15:24 06 Nov 2008

class as a Bushism ???

;)

Forum Editor 16:45 06 Nov 2008

when you're the President of the United States every single word you utter in public is recorded, and over the years you utter hundreds of thousand of words. You're often expected to have something to say about things you know little about, and at times your mind must be occupied with other matters.

In such circumstances it's not surprising that some presidents have a few problems - there are similar lists of verbal gaffes for most of them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017