Burglars leave human rights outside!

peter99co 18:23 31 Jan 2010

click here

Do you agree with this proposal to strengthen the law to protect householders who exercise their "legitimate" right to self-defence when confronted by an intruder?

Lord Mandelson said: "It's a wonderful sound bite.

john bunyan 18:31 31 Jan 2010

Yes!

egapup 18:34 31 Jan 2010

If some low life breaks into your home they should lose all thier rights, they deserve everything they get, in my case a machette.

bremner 19:18 31 Jan 2010

I predict absolutely no change if the Tories come to power, pure electioneering by Cameron.

Reasonable force will always be the requirement as it is now.

What Myleene Klass was was told by the policemen, if he did indeed say what she says he did, was just plain stupid . Possession of an Offensive Weapon applies to public places not your own kitchen!

Input Overload 19:43 31 Jan 2010

The baseball bat in my cupboard is not for playing baseball.

Terry Brown 19:51 31 Jan 2010

As far as I am concerned, my home is my castle, and woe betide anyone who violates that, or my family.
To me the law comes second, my family and property come first every time, and I will use whatever means it needs to defend them.

al's left peg 19:53 31 Jan 2010

I once heard off a copper that the best course of action if a burglar enters your property is to beat the living daylights out of him, then get a mate to help you bundle him into a vehicle. After ten miles throw him out and give him another good hiding and leave him in some bushes.
Drive home and tidy up, then go to bed. If in the remotest of chances he reports you, deny all knowledge and stick to your story. Even if you were charged the CPS would laugh at the charges and throw it out. The scumbag would not darken your door again, job done.

peter99co 20:27 31 Jan 2010

Bit over the top?

Householders would only face prosecution if they used "grossly disproportionate" force against a burglar.

folsom 20:35 31 Jan 2010

The problem is peter, who decides what is "grossly disproportionate".

ky72 20:42 31 Jan 2010

Been there done that! its horrible!! i was burgled a few years ago! & i lost everything but the very clothes i was wearing! i stayed out the night & when i returned i came back to sheer mayhem! the same week we had just lost our grandam so it was a double whammy. i found evidece of the person who robbed me & i reported it, i am still waiting for the police to collect it some 8 years later.? btw i wasnt insured. so a BIG yes i 100% support this law change.

OTT_B 20:50 31 Jan 2010

I was doing some repairs to my house down south and covered over a missing floor board with the carpet once i'd finished (needed to do that to close the door).

My dad said "if someone breaks into your house and injures themselves by tripping [down the hole from the missing floor board], you could be prosecuted for that"

To which I replied "what would they be doing in my house in the first place"

"It makes no difference; the hole requires a physical barrier to prevent an accident"

"it has got a physical barrier - 4 brick walls and locked doors and windows!"

I can understand why the laws to exist and by default protects criminals who break into your house. The only way round it that I can see is to create a law that specifies the legal rights of a criminal committing a criminal act. But I don't think that would go down too well with the public.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache