building a footpath up snowden

sunnystaines 10:04 07 Jul 2010

I think its a good idea opens it up to more people, the angry mountaineers can still go up the non footpath route its their choice.

click here

did this in 1975 uk had a heatwave, snowden had continued rain and the peak was misty so never did see across to ireland.

Quickbeam 10:17 07 Jul 2010

"Next they'll be wanting to put a lift up Everest"
That's effectively no worse than the railway and restaurant at the top of Jungfrau.

Noldi 11:20 07 Jul 2010

I think the idea is it opens it up to disabled people and I think that is a good thing. Walkers / Hikers don’t have to use the path. The only thing is that it should not be opened to Cyclist that could be quite a danger with them free wheeling down at speed.

I normally start my year climbing a peak called Santis, this has a cable car and restaurant on top and a nice big car park, I don’t use either I go up on foot and enjoyable and good training it is, Its nice to see the people faces when you come wondering up the trail thinking where the hell has he come from. Jungfrau is also the same take the train to Kleine Scheidegg and walk to the top, but get the train down.

Noldi

spuds 14:26 07 Jul 2010

This footpath building as been going on for as long as I can remember. Wait till the continuous footpath all around England (laws have already been passed) is completed.

Seth Haniel 14:34 07 Jul 2010

click here

Cairngorm funicular railway passengers are to be allowed to walk from the top station on to the mountain for the first time.

Since opening in 2001, hillwalkers have not been allowed to use the funicular as a quick means of reaching the Cairngorm plateau.

Seth Haniel 14:34 07 Jul 2010

click here

Cairngorm funicular railway passengers are to be allowed to walk from the top station on to the mountain for the first time.

Since opening in 2001, hillwalkers have not been allowed to use the funicular as a quick means of reaching the Cairngorm plateau.

Bingalau 15:54 07 Jul 2010

Is that the Welsh spelling of Snowdon? I can remember walking up Snowdon as a lad of 14 and I'm sure it was up a footpath. Us tuffies refused to go by rail.

Seth Haniel 16:19 07 Jul 2010

:)

I went up Snowdon by the railway in 1984 - dissapointed as no view from top - covered in mist

WhiteTruckMan 19:39 07 Jul 2010

when they put a light railway up snaefell? Must be 35 years since I went up it, but I enjoyed it immensely!

WTM

WhiteTruckMan 20:27 07 Jul 2010

on google maps, and I advise anyone else to do the same. I was surprised to see streetview active at the very summit, as there is no road to drive those cars up. However, there are someones good pictures from various positions around the summit, and some of them are absolutely breathtaking (in my opinion anyhow)

WTM

Chegs ®™ 20:42 07 Jul 2010

It irks me greatly to see the huge scars across the Lake District,but I'm uncertain whether I prefer these to the Forestry Commissions installations of a "footpath" Whenever I go for a walk around the Lake District,I do it to get away from civilisation so avoid the popular routes as much as possible(having an almost white Golden Retriever,everyone & their Granddad wants to pet her)then engage me in conversations about "I used to have a dog" which I try to abort without seeming rude.Years ago,I nearly crashed my taxi laughing as I was asked by a passenger "Why isn't there a Lake District taxi service?" She honestly expected to scale a mountain & when tired simply flag down a passing cab.Looking at the scars running over Scafell from walkers boots,it wouldn't surprise me if the FC were to tarmac them over and make them into roads. :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017