BTX motherboards & cases

CurlyWhirly 11:33 03 May 2005

Hi,
I have to my surprise just found out that the present ATX case is to phased out and replaced by the new BTX standard.
See click here for further info.

So that's ONE more factor that we have to take into account when upgrading our PC's in the future!
I can understand WHY it is being implemented though, to try and keep the case noise down and to more efficiently cool ever faster CPU's, GPU's and chipsets not to mention faster DDR memory as well.
It seems that PC technology is building up momentum what with 64 bit processors and soon a 64 bit operating system.
Also SATA, PCI Express and now BTX!
Just something to bear in mind for anyone who doesn't know about BTX.

Noelg23 14:16 03 May 2005

well if u ask me Curly I cant wait for the new form factors to arrive it gives me a challenge to work with when I build more PCs...so I say bring it on...

CurlyWhirly 00:56 04 May 2005

I say bring it on aswell especially if it means a quieter and cooler PC!
I assume that BTX motherboards and cases are available now as it says they are in the link?

Anyway to close, I will definently be getting a BTX PC when I upgrade next year!
ATX is being phased out so BTX is the future.

Ancient Learner 14:24 04 May 2005

Having just upgraded, I can't say that I view this new thingy with anything other than cynicism. They want us all to upgrade again and to do that we will have to start from scratch. I won't even be able to use my brand new case again. I suppose the highwayman Gates is at the bottom of this!

Indigo 1 14:58 04 May 2005

The future of PC's depends on them evolving.

There is no benefit in sticking to old designs and trying to adapt new technology to fit, it is far better to re-design PC's from the ground up as more new technology becomes available.

It is not compulsory to change your PC just because there is a new design on the market, if your PC does what you want it to then it is the right PC for you, if not then it's time to upgrade.

My next upgrade will not be for a couple of years yet so that should give them enough time to iron out the bugs in the new 64 bit O/S's and new form factors, by then they should be awesome.

Pooke100 17:30 04 May 2005

As for highwaymen there's no one holding a gun to your head telling you to upgrade right away.

This little PC of mine was outdated when I bought it, 4 months ago. There's always something newer and better than what you have. There's 2 factors involved, budget and needs, if what you have now will meets your needs then there's no reason to upgade right away.

I am totally in favour of new technology replacing the old, but until my old technology either stops working

Pooke100 17:31 04 May 2005

As for highwaymen there's no one holding a gun to your head telling you to upgrade right away.

This little PC of mine was outdated when I bought it, 4 months ago. There's always something newer and better than what you have. There's 2 factors involved, budget and needs, if what you have now will meets your needs then there's no reason to upgrade right away.

I am totally in favour of new technology replacing the old, but until my old technology either stops working or is no longer worth keeping I'll hang on for a few years yet.....

Pooke100 17:32 04 May 2005

appologies for that!

Mr Mistoffelees 18:06 04 May 2005

The ATX standard does need to be updated but, whether Intel can convince everyone that their BTX standard is the way everyone should go is another matter.

CurlyWhirly 01:24 05 May 2005

[QUOTE] The future of PC's depends on them evolving.
There is no benefit in sticking to old designs and trying to adapt new technology to fit, it is far better to re-design PC's from the ground up as more new technology becomes available. [/QUOTE]

I agree. The new BTX case will be quieter and allow everything to run a bit cooler with the possibility of even faster processor speeds and graphics cards in the future!

Indigo 1 09:24 05 May 2005

I think the real question is, "How fast is fast enough ?"

My Athlon XP2600+ Barton with 1Gig DDR RAM and GeForce FX5900 XT Ultra is blisteringly fast and incredibly stable with XP Pro SP2. I have no need for anything faster. It blows my 'old' PC into the dust which had a 1Ghz Athlon and 512Meg Ram and a TNT2 M64 Pro and was a joke in stability terms but that was straight from the shop with only an extra stick of RAM added.

So is your PC fast enough ?

How fast do you need to go ?

My main 'bottleneck' is my BB connection which is only 512 and appears to be slowing my PC down but it will soon be upgraded by my ISP to the highest speed that my connection will allow, that will make a huge difference and will satisfy all my needs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie