BT Rolling Contracts/Business customers

Cara2 11:01 12 Feb 2008

My business has had a letter from BT announcing changes to services contract.

Actually, my husband thought it was a telephone bill and handed it over to me unopened. Had it opened it, he would probably have binned it thinking it was junk mail.

In fact BT are giving businesses free 'call divert' but it is not until at least half way into the letter that it states that it ties you into a rolling contract.

You have to opt out of this if you don't agree. No email address to do this - it involves a phone call.

Is it just me that thinks this is very naughty? I suspect many customers are going to bin this letter thinking it is junk-mail, or fail to get more than half way through the notice to the important bit.

How can it be good practice to tie a business into a contract in such a manner?

Mike D 12:54 12 Feb 2008

Cara2
I agree. It's only because I'm getting to be a suspicious old so and so that I bothered to read further (never get owt for nowt) and found the part where they wanted to automatically renew the contract.

oresome 13:06 12 Feb 2008

I believe BT retail customers are getting some inducement to enter a 12 month rolling contract.

Quite how this offer is being delivered to retail customers, I don't know, not being BT customer. If it's like you describe the business offer, I would expect an outcry and the regulator to get involved.

Cara2 13:20 12 Feb 2008

Unfortunately, I did not study the envelope.

When expressing my objection to the (very disinterested) lady on the telephone, she did admit that I had not been the only person to make such a comment.

Totally-braindead 13:40 12 Feb 2008

They are doing something similar with BT home customers but with one big difference - you have to chose to opt in.

I got something on Monday from BT saying I now get free UK calls at the weekends and that if I would sign up to BT for a year I could also get the same for evening calls.

But as I said you had to opt in to tie yourself to a 12 month contract and that is different from what you say they are doing to business customers.

I have my doubts about the legality of this, they are quite entitled to change their terms and conditions but are they also allowed to tie you into them for another year without you agreeing to it?

dth 15:45 13 Feb 2008

We had one at work too. Did think it was a bit of a cheek myself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?