BT Again

laurie53 10:05 26 Mar 2007

I know it has been fairly well aired already, but I've now been officially informed by BT that I will be charged extra for paying my bill on-line rather than by direct debit (does this really cost them that much more?).

Like most people I would like to tell BT where to put their connection, but unfortunately my wife is a vulnerable adult and we have to have an LA community alarm connected, and this requires a BT connection.

We are very grateful for this and regard it as a lifeline, but I'm annoyed that I should have to now pay BT for the privilege (the LA provides it free, but I would willingly pay for it).

I have nothing against Direct Debit per se; like many, my insurances, TV licence, mortgage etc are all paid by this means, but I do object to variable direct debit when I have absolutely no idea what is going to be taken from my account, or when it is going to to be taken.

Perhaps I ought to exercise my right to go to the next shareholders' meeting and make my point, but the cost would pay the charge for the next five years!

Ofcom, where are you?

Laurie

anskyber 10:16 26 Mar 2007

BT have shot themselves in the foot. A discount has always been available for DD BT payers and they have tried to represent it as a different tariff rate.

Variable rates for services are everywhere from better savings rates for online banking through to "discounts" for DD payments. BT have simply failed the PR test.

laurie53 12:14 26 Mar 2007

You're right, of course.

I was always quite willing to forgo the discount, as a penalty of my own personal preference not to use DD, but now they are actually adding the penalty to my bill, which is a whole new ball game

Laurie

jolorna 12:25 26 Mar 2007

i have started the dd with them and have opted for the full bill option each quarter which will be deducted on a set date after i have received the bill and they will only take the amount stated on the bill, it is the monthly only where it will be a estimated amount.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?