Broadband tax 'to be made law'

Seth Haniel 13:52 23 Sep 2009

click here

A controversial broadband tax "will be law before the next election", according to Minister for Digital Britain Stephen Timms.

The 50 pence a month tax applies to everyone with a fixed line telephone.

anchor 14:16 23 Sep 2009

Yet another way for the government to squeeze more money out of us.

One would be quite naive to imagine that £175 million/year won`t just end up in the general coffers.

tein 14:45 23 Sep 2009

ANOTHER Labour party tax con!
good riddence too them! i aint bothered who gets in next election cause they will be ups & downs from every party just NOT labour! i'l never vote for them again!

Shortstop 14:49 23 Sep 2009

Whilst I don't mind paying £6 per year for a better Broadband Infrastructure, there are no guarantees that the money raised will go exclusively on this and not other pet projects.

I also think it is unfair to levy the charge 'per phone line' as some people cannot get broadband - or a lousy service - and I cannot see the justification of making them pay for a service that they cannot benefit from.

Paul

Grey Goo 15:05 23 Sep 2009

If Labour thinks it's fair then it is. Of course the rest of the world may disagree but since when has that made a difference.

egapup 15:14 23 Sep 2009

Good ole Gorden, dont you just love what he and his bloody crowd have done to the country.

WhiteTruckMan 15:22 23 Sep 2009

will introduce a charge of bringing the country into disrepute. Then they can borrow a page out of labours book and make it retrospective so this current crop of good-for-nothing-except-lining-their-own-pockets politicians can be called to account.

WTM

wids001 15:55 23 Sep 2009

So we now will have to pay a "phone line tax" to fund high speed broadband. Well, I already pay for 50meg via cable with Virgin and that's more than fast enough for me. I also have their mobile @ £10 per month and get 400 minutes phone and unlimited texts. Therefore, if and when this comes in I shall simply cancel my BT phone line, that way I won't have to pay this "tax" ..... or will I?

oresome 16:01 23 Sep 2009

Didn't we privatise the telecoms industry?

Aren't these commercial decisions for the companies concerned?

Clapton is God 16:20 23 Sep 2009

"Aren't these commercial decisions for the companies concerned?"

If you think that; why can't these same companies decide whether or not to impose that other tax - VAT??

ventanas 16:40 23 Sep 2009

If it does result in the availability of high speed (I assume fibre optic) connections, then I don't really have a problem with it. 50p a month is not going to break anybody.
But any revenue will probably get lost in the mire. Time will tell.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017