Broadband speeds

Clapton is God 11:08 02 Aug 2007

I think a lot of us knew this already! click here

4gig 11:20 02 Aug 2007

Ofcom told the BBC News website that it was monitoring the situation.

"If we get increasing complaints we may look at what more can be done.

Once again the regulator hiding away inside the pockets of big business.

Strange,if a fruit stall uses very inaccurate scales then they will be fined.
The guy on BBC tv news this morning called ISP's a bunch of barrow boys and spivs.

Arthur Scrimshaw 13:45 02 Aug 2007

but can you imagine any other business getting away with it?
I'd like to see a Pub advertising serving 'up to a pint of beer'. It's because Ofcom seem to have no power to regulate the ISP's that they can get away with crazy claims like that. It isn't beyond their wit to work out from your postcode what speed you are likely to get.

anskyber 13:47 02 Aug 2007

Yes but the point of the ASA ruling as the BBC point out is

"It ruled that broadband providers could use the words "up to" 8Mbps when describing services as long as customers were likely to get close to those speeds."

Given that they (the customers) are not likely to get even slightly close to the speeds it's without doubt creative advertising of the worse kind.

Pineman100 18:41 02 Aug 2007

I rank that "news" story alongside one that says water is wet.

oresome 19:11 02 Aug 2007

"but can you imagine any other business getting away with it?"

How about cheap travel fares that are rarely available at the price quoted?

How should ISP's advertise their speed?

Perhaps they should all use a typical standard reference landline so that any speed differences between ISP's are independant of the landline in the calculation. Somewhat like the financial service industry who use the same standard growth rates in their projections so you can ignore this aspect and compare their charges.

mrgrockle 19:15 02 Aug 2007

I get on average 2.7Mbps.
My ISP tell me i can get upto 8Mbps.
BT tell me my exchange will not get past 4Mbps.
But it's a lot better than the 'old days' of 56K!!

interzone55 20:50 02 Aug 2007

"It isn't beyond their wit to work out from your postcode what speed you are likely to get."

The distance from the exchange isn't the only factor, the number of users on the exchange is important
eg 50 people sharing 100mbs will get more bandwidth on average than 75 people sharing 100mbs

The quality of your line is also a factor, the lifespan of a copper telephone wire is about 35 years, and during this period the bandwidth capability of the wire will decrease.

If you can find a way to factor all this into an advert you will make yourself a lot of money

jz 20:59 02 Aug 2007

Zen claim that for their 8Mb broadband: "Actual download speeds will be no higher than 7150Kb" (see click here). I assume that it's the same limit for other ISPs. If so, calling it 8Mb does sound like a bit of a con to me.

jz 21:01 02 Aug 2007

...by the way, I wasn't trying to knock Zen - to their credit they also point out on the same page that:

# BT Wholesale estimates that 78% of customers will achieve download speeds of 4Mb and above.
# Fluctuation in line speed is expected to occur within the first 10 days of service whilst your line speed adapts to the maximum it can reliably support.
# It is likely that speeds no greater than 2Mb will be achieved at peak usage times.

So at least they make it clear to people.

anskyber 22:14 02 Aug 2007

Indeed they do make it clear which is why amongst other reasons I use them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?