Broadband growth accelerating!

CurlyWhirly 17:02 20 Dec 2004

click here

The future is looking bright for broadband!
Does anyone think that dial-up will *still* be with us in say 5 years time?

Diemmess 17:24 20 Dec 2004

Never mind dial-up, BB will change so much that it too may seem ancient in retrospect if satellite connection becomes affordable

CurlyWhirly 17:30 20 Dec 2004

Satellite connection ever becoming affordable?
I can't see this happening as there isn't the demand for it as set-up costs are way too high and also there are millions of people on ADSL, Cable & Wireless!
Getting these people to change over would be a mammoth task!

Only recently there was news that a Company was going to set up a LLU service that offered a 8mb service for only £39.99!
You can't get much better value than that for the people who are *fortunate* to be able to receive it!

Diemmess 17:32 20 Dec 2004

The Impossible will take a little longer (Napoleon Bonapart)

CurlyWhirly 17:35 20 Dec 2004

The Impossible will take a little longer (Napoleon Bonapart)

lol

myphrill 23:38 20 Dec 2004

mines 750k, its so popular now it was upgraded for free from 600k to 750k. i would think it'll work thru digital dishes soon like sky digital tv.

norman47 00:06 21 Dec 2004

"Never mind dial-up, BB will change so much that it too may seem ancient in retrospect if satellite connection becomes affordable "

One satallite covers all the UK and all of europe. 4Mb download ( 54Mb max capacity) and 512Kb back haul. No restrictions, I downloaded 30 gig last month and at £14.99 a month with no set up fee's. ADSL you can keep it.

As Diemmess says ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

CurlyWhirly 07:35 21 Dec 2004

One satellite covers all the UK and all of europe. 4Mb download ( 54Mb max capacity) and 512Kb back haul. No restrictions, I downloaded 30 gig last month and at £14.99 a month with no set up fee's. ADSL you can keep it.

That sounds *excellent*. Who are you with if you don't mind me asking?
I was under the impression that Satellite was like Powerline broadband and was a *dying* technology due to lack of consumer interest!
I would *definently* upgrade as I am at present paying £29.99 for a 1mb service!

Noelg23 09:59 21 Dec 2004

can't see this happening as there isn't the demand for it as set-up costs are way too high

why dont you have a look at click here

and as for broadband speeds itself, well already Online UK have already started their 8Mb connection...give it another year or two kids and it will be 18Mb...now we're talking! of course one major problem is the flaming contention....my connection is 1Mb, in the last two it has gone down to 512K cos some flamin idiot is doing some serious heavy downloads on my telephone exchange...my ISP say it will cost and extra £20 to lower the contention...so thats something to think about for the new year...

CurlyWhirly 14:26 21 Dec 2004

Thanks. You say that one major problem is the contention...I say that the *major* problem (for me) is being able to *get* the faster speed in the first place!
This is because I live a fair distance from the exchange!
Until ADSL2+ comes out, and the distance limitations are *improved* then nothing will change IMHO.

Noelg23 08:21 22 Dec 2004

I agree with you totally on that on one CurlyWhirly...I thought the distance from exchange problem was sorted ages ago? seems like things arent what they seem...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017