British Weather!

babybell 16:03 02 Jun 2009

At the end of another lovely hot day in June I thought I would check to see what lovely gardening weather I would have this week and apparently in the South West we could be looking at 14mm of rain on Friday AND Saturday!

Summer over perhaps?

Cymro. 16:30 02 Jun 2009

That's UK weather for you and part of what makes this country and us what we are.
I knew a chap who like others on this forum had worked most of his life in the Middle East. He always said he preferred UK weather as where he worked the only difference from one part of the year to the next was how bad the mosquitoes were.

peter99co 17:16 02 Jun 2009

If you don't like the British weather you only have to wait a day or two!

No such thing as bad weather just the wrong clothing.;-)

peter99co 17:19 02 Jun 2009
  gardener 17:56 02 Jun 2009

peter99co,

I watched the programme on BBC4 about the jetstream the other night, very interesting, especially the possible Northward movement caused global warming and the postulated effects it may have on our climate.

gardener 17:57 02 Jun 2009

That should read 'caused by', sorry.

Cymro. 18:01 02 Jun 2009

You say
"If you don't like the British weather you only have to wait a day or two"

Where I live, on the edge of the Snowdonia National Park, an hour or two is all you have to wait for a change in the weather!

gardener 18:08 02 Jun 2009

We had a holiday in Cornwall a few weeks ago. Arrived in a massive storm which sadly claimed three lives. The next day was calm and sunny.

peter99co 22:26 02 Jun 2009

If the Jet is to the north of us and stays there we should find High Pressure moving up from the Biscay area. This is where our Summer begins.

I think the jet is wriggling like a snake at the moment.

The heavy rain in the past years was when the Jet was to far south and kept the highs at bay. IMHO.

Forum Editor 23:48 02 Jun 2009

The polar front jet stream - which is the one that we're concerned with - does indeed wriggle around. It's currently running down the east coast from the North at around 140 mph. The jet runs slower in the summer months.

If it stays where it is it will allow the Azores high pressure to build over the country, and the longer that stays with us we'll have clear skies and high temperatures.

dagnammit 00:20 03 Jun 2009

"If it stays where it is it will allow the Azores high pressure to build over the country, and the longer that stays with us we'll have clear skies and high temperatures."

tooooo warrRRRRMMMMM!

Make the heat go away.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?