British Summer Fruits

Quickbeam 07:30 31 May 2012

I got my first UK (Perthshire) strawberries yesterday from the market, much better than the tasteless watery Spanish ones.

Some fruits are much better from countries with cold winters than from the lands of milk and honey with perpetual sunshine. My Cox apple tree is also going to bear a record harvest after the harsh winter of two years ago it's excelled itself with really crisp full flavoured apples that only a cold winter country can provide, you can keep your Golden unDelicious.

I can't wait until the raspberries and gooseberries are on sale.

sunnystaines 08:18 31 May 2012

talking about engish fruits why do shops/markets sell gooseberries when they are still green instead of waiting for them to get the reddish blush [much sweeter then]

english apples so much better than imported ones I like a cox and russets, do not see wellington apples anymore they were the best.

we have a cox apple tree only grows small apples no idea why, other trees are victoria plum had massive plums last year, and a fig tree they are superb like a mix of rasperry jam and honey shop/market ones are always dry and tastless.

Quickbeam 09:36 31 May 2012

Gooseberries are better when they're a bit tart, they are to me anyway.

sunnystaines 10:55 31 May 2012

quickbeam leave a couple to blush just to taste, might convert you perhaps.

Condom 11:32 31 May 2012

Sunnystaines

I think your geography perhaps needs a little refreshing. Quickbeam was talking about Perthshire strawberries and you then begin by "talking about English fruits". Last time I looked Perthshire was still in Scotland ;-)

Chegs ®™ 12:00 31 May 2012

sunnystaines:we have a cox apple tree only grows small apples no idea why,

We had an apple tree in the garden at our last house that produced a few small apples...until it was involved in an accident with a cement mixer,the following years the crop was huge although the apples themselves only increased in size by about 1.5.The accident with the mixer did mean I no longer needed a ladder to reach the crop for most of the rest of my time living at that house.I have no idea what type of apple they were,and didn't care as 90% of the crop was duly converted into cider(which as I gave up drinking years ago,has resulted in my outside shed storing a few crates of cider)

Aitchbee 13:02 31 May 2012

This year I have concentrated on peppers (fruit or vegetable?) alas, no Scottish or English varieties....Cayenne, Jalapeno & Californian,...20 are growing indoors (where they will remain) and about another ten will be planted out,sheltered by a south-facing wall which catches the sun.

Almost forgot, if the weather improves will put the indoor ones out onto my newly-tiled terracotta verandah.

spuds 13:11 31 May 2012

British Summer Fruits, if our local supermarkets don't have it, then it cannot be British or even summer :O)

But having said that, our apple trees are already showing fruit, which if like other years, will no doubt go to waste.

Condom 13:14 31 May 2012

AitchBEE

Your Peppers are indeed fruits and not vegetables but are commonly used as vegetables like tomatoes. They are reasonably hardy even in Scottish climes and should manage well on your sun facing terracotta verandah provided the "wind" isn't too strong and the risk of frost has gone.

Although not 100% accurate, but it can be used as a general guide, most things with seeds are fruit while vegetables tend to grow their seeds as part of the plant. Strawberries I believe are the only fruit which have their seeds on the outside

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone