British Jobs for British Workers

oresome 18:13 30 Jan 2009

Now which politician said that in a speech?

Could it be the same person who was lecturing against protectionism today.

With todays unrest, it might come just come back to haunt him.

The Brigadier 18:20 30 Jan 2009

British companies tendered for the contract but lost out to a firm from Italy. This tendering went (probably) to the lowest bidder!

Thats what being part of the European Union is all about. No different to British Bricklayers going to Germany in the 1970's & 80's.

But i bet the government come out of this smelling of roses!

dagnammit 18:26 30 Jan 2009

He is an idiot...

Sounds like a neo-nazi remark to me.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:38 30 Jan 2009

So, by the half-witted reasoning of this bunch of lame strikers, all Brits working abroad should come home. These ill-educated, half-wits are the reason that the manufacturing capability of the UK is going down the tubes.

G

perpetual motion 18:52 30 Jan 2009

I'm with "The Brigadier" on this one, However i Does make me feel proud that the workers that are on strike are standing by what they belive in & they've ALL stuck together WHEREEVER in the UK they are!!to make there point!! "Im proud of ya lad's!!!

I do wish British people where like French & stuck more together in times when we need to make a issue at the goverment cause the goverment has CLEARLY too things too far with a whole number of things & we've stood by & let them!!

laurie53 20:15 30 Jan 2009

Isn't "striking in support" when you're not directly affected supposed to be illegal?

cream. 20:21 30 Jan 2009

Spot on mate.

natdoor 20:46 30 Jan 2009

The contract in question was placed by Total, a French oil company, with an American contractor who subsequently sub-contracted to an Italian company. They in turn are using Italian and Portuguese workers. Clearly this is permissible under EU laws.

Presumably tenders from UK companies were not competitive. It would be perverse to award the contract elsewhere at a higher cost given comparable quality. However, with so many of our utilities in foreign hands, we could fare badly in the current economic climate for new work if there is nothing to choose between a UK company's tender and that of a foreign contractor. We have been very relaxed about allowing foreign ownership of crucial industries, whereas the French absolutely reject it. One example of an attempt to protect their industry and prevent foreign competition is the TV set manufacture.

Gordon Brown was, I believe, stressing the need for more state-of-the-art manufacturing in the UK and pointing out that this would result in UK jobs for UK citizens. He was not saying that all new jobs would be for UK citizens because there is no way in which this can be achieved, given the terms of membership of the EU, allowing EU citizens to come here freely, and the presence of legal immigrants.

birdface 20:56 30 Jan 2009

I suppose its all right for some of those big companies to pack up and move their production to Poland. China. India. without a complaint from anyone but bring workers from Europe here and you get this reaction.

al's left peg 22:01 30 Jan 2009

The old ones are the best eh Gandalf?

I think you must be either a company director/ owner or a senior manager.

"These ill-educated, half-wits are the reason that the manufacturing capability of the UK is going down the tubes".

I would disagree with that statement, and say the manufacturing capability of the UK is going down the tubes because UK workers are not being allowed to perform any "manufacturing"

STREETWORK 22:08 30 Jan 2009

There once was a polititian called Enoch...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?