British Grand Prix saved?

day2strike 17:21 05 Jul 2008

So can Donnigton be ready & have the infrastucture needed for 2010?
For more click here

micky d 17:31 05 Jul 2008

It a big task the Donnington owners have placed upon themselves.

To basically re-build from scratch is a big ask.
Albeit they have the basic fundamentals in place(track & land) there's a hell of alot of work to be done in 2 years.

The track is too short & narrow for a decent F1 g.p,& the facilities are nowhere near Silverstone standard let alone other tracks.

At least we will still have a British g.p.

I would've liked it to be at Silverstone as,in my opinion, it's a decent track.

Clapton is God 17:47 05 Jul 2008

I never had any complaints when Silverstone and Brands Hatch alternated each year.

Brands would still need some upgrading if we were to revert to that arrangement - but nowhere near as much as Donington

interzone55 17:57 05 Jul 2008

Silverstone needed £40m spending on it to bring it up to modern standards.

Donnington needs at least £100m spending on it to lengthen & widen the track, and build modern pits, and the media centres & helipads demanded by a modern day GP.

Sounds like Max Mossley having a last laugh before he retires...

Clapton is God 18:03 05 Jul 2008

"Sounds like Max Mossley having a last laugh before he retires..."

With or without whips and prostitutes?

Chegs ®™ 01:19 06 Jul 2008

I remembered hearing that Silverstone was in question as GP venue,eventually resolved but said that its future as the GP venue was in jeopardy.This recent development will probably result in the GP completely ceasing in the UK.

laurie53 07:12 06 Jul 2008

As ever, with all modern "sport" it always comes down to money in the end.

ened 08:32 06 Jul 2008

I agree with everything you write, but the local Council have just agreed planning permission to build a new 'state of the art' pit complex.

I assumed the BRDC had intended to go ahead with it.

The bottom line is it is down to money. F1 is so big there is no room for sentiment and it annoys me to see Ecclestone claiming different.

If the argument about other venues being soo good was sound Monaco would fall off the calender.

Noldi 10:17 06 Jul 2008

"Sounds like Max Mossley having a last laugh before he retires..."
Max is the FIA

This is organised by FOM (formula One management) Bernie Eclstones group.

I do find it amazing how people say nothing wrong with Silverstone visit a modern circuit and see.

Spectator areas are a disgrace not properly pathed, work in the garages that a joke with chain driven doors that don’t operate properly, that leak water and with a single toilet in the corner. You see the car from one corner to the next and then wait 1min 20 before the cars appear again. Donnington has a lot better views of the circuit for spectators, If they are going to spend the money then hope we have races like last time F1 visited Donnington. My favourite is Brands but I don’t think they are interested in having a F1 race

Noldi

ened 11:01 06 Jul 2008

"This is organised by FOM (formula One management) Bernie Eclstones group"

Actually it is the FIA who decide on the Grand Prix Calendar.

Ecclestone claims to have been fighting to 'save' the British Grand Prix and that the only way to do this was to go with Donnington Park.

The problems Noldi has mentioned would be much more easily resolved than transforming Donnington within 24 months.

Quickbeam 11:09 06 Jul 2008

is the problem with Silverstone?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone