Bridge cameras

exdragon 17:49 25 Mar 2010

Hi - I'm think of supplementing my Nikon D300 with a smaller camera for those times when I don't want to lug my entire kit around.

Does anyone have any exerience of the Canon G10 and G11? I seem to remember a post last year when FE said he was going to buy a Panasonic Lumix which came out top in a PCA review, but then, if I remember correctly, someone threw the Canons into the mix and muddied the water!

I've spent the last half hour seaching for his post, but to no avail. I've read lots of reviews, and as usual, for every positive, there's a negative one, so I wondered if any users could offer comments? Although no doubt for every positive, etc...

john bunyan 18:22 25 Mar 2010

I looked at this in a shop today: Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ10. Has a Leica x 12 optical zoom and looks very good. My wife has had a slim Lumix (x3 zoom) and it works well. I have a film Nikon F90 and was thinking of a D90, but the weight of gear deters me plus the fact I do not do as much as I used to.
hssutton is the expert!!

Toneman 18:23 25 Mar 2010

You may think not good enough, but I have a Nokia mobile with a 2 meg camera which I find gives quite acceptable pix, in reasonable light conditions, good enough for one to be published in the local paper...

Labdweller 18:41 25 Mar 2010

I've used the Canon G10 and Panasonic LX3, owned by some friends. Both of these cameras are very good for compacts, and give you quite a lot of control over your images, but I increasingly think it is not really worth the price if I (or you) have a better camera already.

The hotshoe attachment is really handy, but I guess you need to evaluate if you want to fit a flash on a compact. Also, if you have Capture NX, you might want to consider getting a Nikon compact that supports RAW.

I concluded that if there's anything that is worth taking a picture of, I'll take my SLR. For anything else that is random and unplanned, a small cheap compact will do. Prosumers cost around £300. I might as well contribute that extra £200 towards a new lens ;)

exdragon 19:20 25 Mar 2010

Thank you so far! I looked at the Lumix DMC FZ38 today, but I really wanted something to go in my handbag (I'm a girl but don't go in for the handbags the size of a suitcase)

A mobile isn't really good enough for what I want, but thank you, Toneman.

Labdweller - this is really the nub of the problem! I've got the D300, a 10 - 20 wide angle and an 18 - 200 zoom. I'm happy to carry this lot around, plus all the extras if it's a photographic holiday/foray but if I'm away with a non-photographic friend on an 'ordinary' holiday, I thought something a step up from a basic compact might be the answer.

I do have Capture NX2, but aren't sure about the Nikon range. I guess I just plumped for the Canon and Panasonic initially.

bremner 19:25 25 Mar 2010

Your memory was nearly right. The FE was considering the G10 but was then swayed by the Lumix click here

exdragon 20:02 25 Mar 2010

Hmm - that one doesn't have a viewfinder, does it? I really do want one on whatever I buy!

ventanas 21:59 25 Mar 2010

I would think a bit about this. I've got two Nikon DSLR's and a while back did just what you are considering and bought a Fuji 9600 - a very good camera, but it hardly gets used. It would have been more sensible of me to have bought one of the smaller Nikons, such as a D40 or D60 and used it in auto or program mode.
Mine are a bit older than yours (D200 and D2)and I assume the 10-20 is the Sigma, my favourite lens.
The Fuji was bought for the same reasons you desribe, but you have an 18-200. Isn't that enought for a holiday?
I also have NX2 - good, but it ain't Lightroom.

exdragon 22:09 25 Mar 2010

ventanas - yes, it's the Sigma. I'm really looking for a lighter weight option when out and about on non-photographic days.

However, I do think I've solved the problem... or rather you have, thank you! You've jogged my memory about the D40 and D60 and reminded me that I still have my D70 tucked away somewhere. Oh dear, what an idiot I am.

Now that I've saved the money I would have spent on a G10, what can I buy instead?!

ventanas 22:16 25 Mar 2010

Perfect, it may lack a bit in mp by today's standards, but no problem for holiday snaps.

What to buy? Lightroom.

exdragon 22:24 25 Mar 2010

I'll pass on Lightroom, I think, I'm happy with Capture NX2, CS4, Photomatix and heaven knows what else.

All I need to do is get off my backside and take some photos! Worst thing I ever did was to join a Photographic Society, it's keeping me impoverished.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017