Brand followers - quality v price

lisa02 19:17 01 Oct 2006

Do you buy the most expensive branded goods or do you find a brand you like and stick to it?

Or are you like me and just buy whatever you like that's on promotion?

Someone was saying today that certain food products are exactly the same, made by the same mfr even though it is supermarket branded. Surely quality has to be an issue?

spuds 19:30 01 Oct 2006

Have you ever seen some of the larger recall notices,like the one earlier in the year, and see how the major supermarket names appear for the same 'branded' product.

When shopping,money being a premium, we prefer the Whoops or reduced price clearance. Next comes the Value or Smart-Price items, which on testing, either stay on the list for possibly a next time, or crossed off, never to buy again.

Kate B 19:46 01 Oct 2006

Depends - I always buy a particular instant coffee, for example, because I like it better than any of the others. With makeup, I can be a brand tart, flitting between different ones, but I've certainly heard that some of the cheap brands are made by the leading cosmetic houses which also make expensive brands.

ade.h 22:04 01 Oct 2006

As long as I get a quality product and the price is not excessive, then I am happy.

Kate: instant coffee?! Eugh! I guess, as a journo, you sometimes need a ready supply of caffeine when burning the midnight oil, huh? LOL.

josie mayhem 23:05 01 Oct 2006

you are quite right on your last bit...

While at college I worked for a while in a canning factory on evening shift. The factory delt with tinned vegetables.

If you take a can of peas, The time it takes to process the peas from the cooking vat to being canned, means that the first part of the batch will be just right, but the tail end will be of slightly lower quaility due to the extra heating time, and slightly more liquid to pea content.

So when the tins are being lable the first part of the batch will be top branded names and as the batch nearers to the end, then the lower branded/cheaper lables are put on...

It's the same with things like orange juice ect... mind you back in the 80's there was con going on or should I say slight innocent porkies being labled! concerning pure orange juice and nothing added, no preseritives ect, would be advertised but... The manufactures in this country were right in one way, they didn't actually add anything. But what they didn't say was that they brought freeze dried concedrated oranges in powder form from abroad, when it arrived here they would only add fresh water to rehydrate it, package/lable it. they've not added anything to it except the good old H2O. But all the perservitives were being added in the country of oragin!!! before it was freezed dried...

WhiteTruckMan 23:12 01 Oct 2006

That reminds me of seeing a report some time back of cheap garments coming in from the far east sweat shops with 'made in britain' labels on them. Turned out the labels WERE made in britain....

WTM

sean-278262 00:29 02 Oct 2006

In general most things are the same. Some examples are true such as that of josie mayhem. However things like washing powder and such forth often are exactly the same. Buy the cheap one once, if I like it stick to it. If I dont then will move up in the price bracket. Some people I know will only buy brand named stuff and wont even look at other things. I think a lot of the time it is that these people are trying to aspire to make themselves feel more rich by showing only to themselves that they buy more "luxury" goods.

Similarly in fashion. Primark and TK Max for me any day. How many people do you know that can genuinely tell you that the stuff in tk max is the last years stuff or end of line if they didnt know before hand? I know none. Infact I have on occasion got comments about how good some items I have purchased look.

Odd we humans can be!

A

Kate B 01:13 02 Oct 2006

ade.h, you bet. I get ratty if I have too much blood in my caffeine system ;)

I do think it's worth paying more for quality, particularly when it comes to clothes and shoes. I buy my fair share of throwaway fashion but that stuff never looks as good as something that's well made and that generally means more expensive. I've got a pair of Paul Smith sparkly flipflops, for example, that cost an eyewatering amount of money: but I bought them in the summer of 2000 and six years later they're only just coming to the end of their life. Definitely better value in the long run.

robgf 02:25 02 Oct 2006

My dad used to work in a clothes factory and he used to laugh at people who bought branded clothes, because he knew that the only difference was the labels (which were kept in the safe!) and that the branded clothes had the seams double checked. And of course they cost twice the price.

I worked for a large well known cereal manufacturer for a while and they also produced shops own brand versions as well. The ingredients were identical, but the texture was altered, to make the cereal more coarse.

lisa02 07:52 02 Oct 2006

Primark is eceptional value for kids clothes. They ruin them so quickly or grow out of them, so paying £3 or £4 for an item is great. However I don't think their adult clothes are good, after a couple of washes they look like they're years old and don't sit right. Just my opinion.

I buy clothes from all over the high street, inc some lovely lines from Tesco! No designer names.

Out of the 5/6 clothes shops I go in, I think Mr Green owns at least 3 of them. I'd guess they all have the same suppliers.

Kate B 12:28 02 Oct 2006

robgf, there is usually a big difference in quality between cheap clothes and expensive ones.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache