Box Junctions and the Highway Code

PalaeoBill 23:05 04 Oct 2009

Is WhiteTruckMan out there perchance, or does someone else know the answer.

I was approaching a traffic light controlled crossroads with a box junction in it. The lights were green for me to go straight on but an ambulance had just run a red ahead of me and had left two cars stranded in the box that were trying to turn right in-front of me.

I stopped (or rather didn't go - i.e. stayed stopped) outside the box to let them go and the driver of the car behind me leaned quite heavilly on the horn. I thought he was going to get out and do for me.

My question is what should I have done? The Highway Code isn't very clear, it says you can enter and queue in a box if your exit is clear.

cream. 23:15 04 Oct 2009

You can only enter a yellow box junction if your EXIT road is clear, you can not queue on the box unless you are going to turn right.

If you were going straight ahead or turning left, you should not be on the box unless you can go straight over it.

As far as I know.

Forum Editor 23:23 04 Oct 2009

you must not enter a yellow box unless you can exit it without stopping, unless you are turning right, and your exit is clear.

PalaeoBill 23:58 04 Oct 2009

Many thanks. I did the right thing then and that nasty man had me questioning myself.

Bingalau 05:26 05 Oct 2009

PalaeoBill. Take no notice of the nasty men, or nasty women for that matter, Your common sense told you what to do and you did it. (If in doubt etc.) There really are some rotten drivers on the road these days and their numbers are increasing. Just mutter "Impatient Bastard" under your breath and you will feel better yourself.

anchor 14:04 05 Oct 2009

Forum Editor: You are of course correct. However there is a junction in Greenford that turning right would be impossible, if you did not enter the box whilst traffic was coming straight down.

No right turn filter is provided, so common sense has to prevail.

Quickbeam 15:36 05 Oct 2009

click here

It'sOK to enter and wait if you're turning right.

peter99co 16:50 05 Oct 2009

Should be re-run nowadays. Amazing how many drivers get it wrong.

morddwyd 19:51 05 Oct 2009

I'm sure the "right turn"`scenario used to have a proviso that "you could wait for oncoming traffic as long as it was being controlled by traffic signals or a traffic officer" but I can't find such a reference anywhere.

I must have dreamed it!

Quickbeam 21:12 05 Oct 2009

"Should be re-run nowadays. Amazing how many drivers get it wrong."
And the Reginald Molehusband ones:)

WhiteTruckMan 21:16 05 Oct 2009

is to point out and correct the very common assumption that people make about traffic lights.

A green light does not simply mean 'go', it means 'proceed with caution'

Other than that, what has been said before me is pretty much on the money.

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?