Bottled water ban started - will it catch on?

TopCat® 18:14 09 Jul 2009

Small town in Australia starts the ball rolling. click here

Apart from visiting places where it could and would be dangerous for us to drink the local water, I'm of the opinion that bottled water is not a necessary commodity most of the time. To produce the stuff is quite expensive and uses considerable resources for its container creation and then delivery to the shop shelves. Tap water on the other hand is in my opinion far better for the environment than bottled.

Here's a 2006/7 'Which?' survey link on the subject, which details the high consumer costs of bottled versus tap water in the UK.

What are your opinions on this H2O subject? Cheers!! TC. click here

Clapton is God 18:30 09 Jul 2009

"What are your opinions on this H2O subject?"

If it has barley and hops added to it, that's fine by me

OTT_Buzzard 18:40 09 Jul 2009

Fair play to the Aussie town.
In the UK, or indeed most of the western world, there is no purpose whatsoever in buying bottled water as a matter of course.

Ok, so there are exceptions, it's good to have available in shops if you're caught short on a hot day. But to buy bottled water regularly? What a wasted resource.

Armchair 18:55 09 Jul 2009

All I drink is water. If I'm at home, I drink tap water. If I'm out and about, I drink bottled water. I don't mind paying the relatively high price for it (£1.40 for 6 x 500ml bottles). I'm not going to start drinking anything else.

Colin 18:59 09 Jul 2009

If this happens in the UK how on earth is anyone going to look cool and important?

lofty29 19:08 09 Jul 2009

Some time ago it was stated that carrying a small bottle of branded water was an essential fashion accessory, whatever happend to all those army surplus water bottles, carrying one of those complete with webbing strap is much more practicle.

Clapton is God 19:12 09 Jul 2009

"Some time ago it was stated that carrying a small bottle of branded water was an essential fashion accessory"

And, there, you've hit the nail on the head.

What it really says is:

Look at me, I'm cool and important - a.k.a. a prat.

jack 19:54 09 Jul 2009

All those exercisers with their bottle of 'water'
some of which has a strange 'tint'
With the accompanied slurps and gulps,it's like babies at the teat.
Not really necessary,
I exercise, take in the sauna and jacuzzi and shower then go home and relax with a mug of coffee.

octal 19:57 09 Jul 2009

I don't care what it looks like, I'll continue to drink my bottled water on the London Underground when it 34°C, they haven't fitted taps of drinking water in the trains yet :(

Armchair 19:58 09 Jul 2009

Good for you. Coffee gives me the runs.

Are you people actually offended by others carrying and drinking bottled water? Does it matter so much to you?

octal 19:59 09 Jul 2009

In fact TFL advocate carrying a bottle of water during the hot weather on the Underground, they are announcing it all the time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?