Boris Johnson - right or far right?

spikeychris 19:46 29 Nov 2007

Oh come off it, I thought yesterday afternoon, when I heard that the Sudanese authorities had actually gone ahead and charged her. Surely they are out of their minds.

click here;jsessionid=MR5Z12KV1M2D1QFIQMFCFF4AVCBQYIV0?xml=/opinion/2007/11/29/do2901.xml

spikeychris 19:47 29 Nov 2007
  laurie53 19:53 29 Nov 2007

I thought most British Muslims had already spoken out against it?

Not saying it's not OTT, but somebody did quite reasonably how Christians (devout and practsing Christians that is) would feel if someone named their pet rat Jeseus.

octal 20:04 29 Nov 2007

She has been found guilty click here

Totally-braindead 20:06 29 Nov 2007

I don't think there would be such a fuss if anyone named a teddy bear or a pet rat Jesus laurie53 to me its way over the top their reaction to this. At most she should be made to appologise and perhaps made to leave the country but even that to me is verging on the ridiculous.
If some devout Christian did object would the person who did this get charged or jailed? No they wouldn't. Not in this country anyway.

I think this is an example of whats wrong with some religions. If she was really sacreligious then I wouldn't have a problem with them jailing her, I believe they have given her 15 days, but this is clearly not meant to be offensive to Muslims or to anyone else. At worst all she has shown is a lack of good sense in not seeing that some might find this idea offensive but I must admit if it was me this probably wouldn't have occurred to me either.

VCR97 20:07 29 Nov 2007

But that someone wouldn't end up in the slammer.

Earthsea 20:34 29 Nov 2007

Sudan isn't Britain. Her sentence may seem harsh to us but probably lenient to them. She obviously didn't realise naming the teddy Muhammad would cause such offence but tough luck, as they say. However, she is appealing so all's not lost.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:34 29 Nov 2007

I named my first Guinea Pig Jesus so I suppose I should expect a Fatwa and a jolly good rogering from the Ortho-Christian mob.

'At worst all she has shown is a lack of good sense in not seeing that some might find this idea offensive'..apparently it was the idea of one of her students who is called Mohamed, so if I was a Mullah I would be round to his parents to give them a damn good kicking for his woeful lack of religious etiquette from their side.

There are many countries that give shed loads of aid to Sudan and this really does not help the Muslim cause, in spite of the expected cries of 'bad play that man' as usual from Muslims and it does give ammo to those who believe that Sudan should have been nuked back to the stone age or until it's inhabitants glow green.

G

Forum Editor 22:34 29 Nov 2007

when trying to understand this issue.

Think about the UN's comments of what's been happening in Darfur, and the accusation that the Sudanese government is guilty of war crimes there. Neither Britain nor the US are exactly the flavour of the month in Khartoum.

Kev.Ifty 22:56 29 Nov 2007

aren't thinking about what outsiders think of them. They are purely trying to rally their own people - and failing!

The Teacher will probably be found guilty and deported as a show and to save face.

The only thing that unites the Sudanese is Islam and that is tenuous.

incidentally laurie53, why would you relate a rat for Christians to a Teddy Bear?

Anyway, I am a Christian and you can use the name jesus at your will as far as I care

Cheers Kev

Stuartli 00:23 30 Nov 2007

>>The Teacher will probably be found guilty and deported as a show and to save face.>>

That's a wonderful piece of deduction, especially as the news about the sentence was learned early evening, several hours before you posted your comment...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone