Booze Ban !!

rawprawn 09:56 01 Aug 2008

Are we living in a real world any more? How much more health and safety do we accept before someone makes a stand. I can remember when postmen would have walked up that road when it was blocked with snow to deliver their mail.

click here

interzone55 10:31 01 Aug 2008

So you're saying that you would carry on doing your job if there was a risk of injury.

I seem to remember there was a time when we had small children scurrying around under mill machinery sweeping up.

Luckily times change, but some people don't seem to be able to.

Now get back up that chimney before I give you a clip round the ear...

Cymro. 10:59 01 Aug 2008

"I can remember when postmen would have walked up that road when it was blocked with snow to deliver their mail".

Yes indeed and so do I, but as alan14 has pointed out things change and I for one don`t think postmen should have to take unnecessary risks.

Chegs ®™ 11:00 01 Aug 2008

So you're saying that you would carry on doing your job if there was a risk of injury.

Thats a mite unfair as in this instance its a council road(track)that the PO are refusing to drive along.Residents have said its safe if you drive carefully,so are the PO saying they dont believe their drivers drive carefully enough?

spuds 11:05 01 Aug 2008

I wonder if this as anything to do with unprofitable routes, and cost saving. The beginning of the wedge,so to say?.

Outside my home and in the neighbourhood at the present moment, is a major gas pipe replacement programme going ahead. The area is like a bomb site, but so far the postie and any other delivery person is still struggling along and making deliveries. And not an hard hat in sight ;o).

Cymro. 11:08 01 Aug 2008

"so are the PO saying they dont believe their drivers drive carefully enough?"

It is not a postman's standard of driving that is the problem but the condition of the road. The council don`t want to spend any money maintaining the road, and the PO don`t want their drivers getting injured by driving along it.

I also suspect that there is the matter of insurance to consider here. If a postman is injured in an accident on this road who will pay damages, will it be the councils or the POs insurance company?

Forum Editor 11:14 01 Aug 2008

do we accept before someone makes a stand"?

Well I suppose as much as it takes to ensure that we're all as healthy and as safe as possible.

There are two ways to look at this subject; one is that the current practice of analysing the health and safety aspects of working environments gets out of hand, and represents an unnecessary level of nannying on the part of employers, unions and government.

The other point of view says that nobody's personal health or safety should be compromised because of their working conditions, and that steps must be taken to ensure, as far as is possible or practical in the circumstances, that it doesn't happen.

Most people will tend to support the second proposition, and will accept that from time to time the ethos will 'fail safe', and provide a degree of protection which is probably a step too far.

Cymro. 11:22 01 Aug 2008

As FE has suggested it is better to be over protected by health a safety rules than under protected.

rawprawn 12:54 01 Aug 2008

I wonder what the comments would be if you all lived in that village and used the road daily.Perhaps they will all turn to Booze.

oldbeefer2 13:13 01 Aug 2008

If the PO delivery drivers drive up that road at the speed at which they drive through that village, I'm not surprised if they are risk from injury. Odd that the residents who have lived there for years and use the road every day are not all flat on their backs with spinal injuries - perhaps they are well because they drive at an appropriate speed for the conditions. I'm sure at lot of these 'duty of care' decisions are taken purely to protect those responsible from the compensation culture so prevalent now.

oldbeefer2 13:14 01 Aug 2008

Whoops - I meant 'through MY village'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?