Bono's blunder

Forum Editor 01:10 14 Feb 2011

Why is it that some musicians seem to think that because they've been successful musically they are qualified to make judgements about other countries' political and/or social history?

Bono needs to prove nothing as far as U2's music goes, but he has a great deal to learn in other directions. His patronising attempt to justify his South African blunder makes my blood boil, and I don't live there.

click here

morddwyd 08:51 14 Feb 2011

Don't know enough about Bono to opine in his overall views, but as reported he has a point.

As already commented "Rebellious Scots to Crush" is part of the UK national anthem, and "The Battle of New Orleans" has a few points to make about the British.

Should we stop singing them, and others, because some people are not able to remember, and respect, the past, but unable to also move on.

As for qualified to comment, when Nelson Mandela condemns him, I shall join in.

Forum Editor 09:13 14 Feb 2011

" when Nelson Mandela condemns him, I shall join in."

I very much doubt that you'll hear Nelson Mandela condemning Bono, or anyone else for that matter - I believe his days of doing that are past.

Plenty of South Africans have condemned him however, and they have every bit as much right to do so.

Quickbeam 09:29 14 Feb 2011

But on the other hand, however small a popular musician's opinions are, they do at least bring a subject to the fore with an audience that would otherwise remain with their mind firmly on the content of their ipod.

spuds 11:54 14 Feb 2011

I suppose when you are rich and famous you can think and say anything, didn't Sting once became involved in similar events?.

Nelson Mandela wouldn't say very much, because his charities have received quite a bit of support from Bono.

Taking this a step further, have you listened to a selection of native South African songs from the townships to the Boer music additions. Well worth a listen, especially if its sung from the heart.

Many years ago I was on an El Al flight from Israel to the UK, and on board was a South African 'Boer' rugby team. They commenced singing, and it was one of the most enjoyable flights that I ever had, and possibly for all the other passengers as well.

al's left peg 15:51 14 Feb 2011

To be honest, Bono gets on my bloody nerves with his preaching attitude. U2 are a fine band but why he can't be a bit like the other members of it and keep his trap shut now and a while is beyond me.
The problem is, when you get celebs like him banging on about world issues, after a while people stop taking any notice and the issue in hand becomes 2nd in line to the actual celebs view of it.

I know he has done many things for charity but it does make me wonder at times their reasons for it. Is it a genuine case of trying to help a cause? Or is it a bit of the old Terry Wogan Children in need syndrome? Where the person in question makes a big noise about some cause, but needs a JCB to shovel the cash up they make from being involved in it in the first place.

jakimo 18:12 14 Feb 2011

Musicians should keep out of politics and leave it to the armchair experts

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?