Boing 777 hard landing at Heathrow

Grey Goo 17:20 17 Jan 2008

Been following the reports of this incident, seems all concerned on board and in the streets around Heathrow have had an incredible escape. The pilot did an amazing job and it's a pity the aircraft ran out of steam so close to the runway or it may well have rolled to a stop instead of being totalled on the grass. Anyway glad it turned out well for all concerned under the circumstances.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:24 17 Jan 2008
  rossgolf 17:26 17 Jan 2008

wondered when some one would post this lol

must of been frightenin TBH lol
any one ever crash landed?

rossgolf 17:28 17 Jan 2008

that is so anoyin
sorry

Diemmess 17:35 17 Jan 2008

What a mercy the captain didn't run out of power, airspeed and altitude, a few seconds earlier!

We will have to be patient, but if the 'whys' of an incident intrigue you, then look at the AAIB website. click here
Sooner or later there will be a full account of what happened.

Bingalau 19:11 17 Jan 2008

Very lucky passengers and crew. Brilliant pilot perfectly entitled to be ashen faced (white faced not PC) afterwards.

Forum Editor 19:21 17 Jan 2008

I was inbound to Heathrow about fifteen minutes behind this flight today, and have just arrived back, having been diverted into Gatwick - pandemonium reigned.

From what I heard on the airport grapevine the BA flight-deck crew narrowly averted what could have been an appalling scenario - a 777 flopping down in the middle of Hounslow isn't something that bears thinking about.

LastChip 19:59 17 Jan 2008

All sorts of rumours will inevitably be rife at the moment.

In a way, it's the perfect crash (if there is such a thing), in as much as it ended up in a secure area, almost intact, with thankfully minimal injuries. The crew are alive to relate what happened, but according to a passenger on the BBC news this evening, the passengers just thought the landing was a bit rough. There was apparently, no indication in the passenger compartment that a crash had happened, until presumably, the emergency evacuation was initiated.

There is no doubt in my mind, the FDR (flight data recorder) and CVR (cockpit voice recorder) will be in perfect condition. The aircraft itself, is almost in one piece and it's almost certain the AIB (air accidents investigation branch) will have little difficulty determining the reason for this incident. They are, after all, World renowned experts. In addition, the latest aircraft do have real time monitoring data being downloaded to base. I don't know if this particular aircraft does have that facility, but if it does, that is yet another source of information to piece together the jigsaw.

As an retired pilot, there are all sorts of questions buzzing around in my head, which at present remain to be answered.

Once the report is published, we will all know just why this aircraft undershot the runway, but until that time, it is very much open to speculation.

laurie53 20:04 17 Jan 2008

Looks like a total loss of lift short of the runway.

Maybe loss of all four engines, but why?

With modern "fly by wire" systems could be undemanded flying control movement.

Plenty to speculate about; at least the flight recorder won't be hard to find!

(Emphasise I'm not a flier, just an engineer - no more actual knowledge than anybody else!)

Forum Editor 00:04 18 Jan 2008

has gone on the record as saying that the aircraft suffered a sudden and total loss of power from both engines. That's something which would be on the flight data record, and I'm sure that if it's there the Air Accidents Investigation people will release the information within a couple of days or so.

Whatever the cause, the effect was very real - one passenger said that after the landing gear descended "the plane suddenly dropped". That's an interesting comment. Eye witnesses on the ground report seeing the aircraft in a 'nose-up' attitude as it made its final approach, which would normally provoke a stall at landing speed. Others say that the aircraft rolled to the left as it approached touch down, and that might indicate an engine thrust problem. It could equally have been a crosswind that provoked the roll.

The facts will emerge, and one shouldn't speculate, as LastChip says. The one certainty is that those who were under the last part of the flight path and those who were aboard the aircraft had a very lucky escape. Heavy jets cross a major road at low altitude on landing at Heathrow, and by all accounts this one only just made it without hitting vehicles.

Stuartli 00:16 18 Jan 2008

The 777 has only two engines.

A taxi driver whose cab was right under the aircraft as it came in said it was no more than 50 feet above his vehicle.

I recall watching a six part special on the conception, design, first build and testing of the 777 on Discovery Wings eight or nine years ago.

The level of testing in all conditions in various parts of the world was quite astonishing (just as it had been for the 747 and other large Boeing aircraft) and took around a year to complete.

A former key employee of British Airways interviewed on one of the news channels this afternoon, said that the crash demonstrated the superb build quality and strength of the company's aircraft - he added it certainly played a major role in all passengers and crew surviving and with remarkably few injuries.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017