Bluetooth Mouse & Keyboard

dewskit 10:09 18 Dec 2007

Am I alone in finding these accessories more of a pain than a useful improvement?

Either can suddenly stop working, usually at a most inopportune moment.
Always seem to be bleating about Batteries being critical, and if the mouse disappears off the desk, one has to grovel on the floor looking for it - previously it could be retrieved by gently hauling in its' tail.
I'm just not convinced this is an 'improvement' what do others think?

interzone55 10:18 18 Dec 2007

I have no experience of "bluetooth" mice (sounds like something DEFRA would be interested in) but have long had standard RF wireless keyboards & mice.

I find the lack of tail a positive bonus, as it no longer gets tangled up with other wires on my desk. I still have a standard wired mouse at work and it's always getting knotted up with my telephone headset wires.

I not sure of the benefits of wireless keyboards, seems like a total waste, because it's not like you move them around so much that the wire gets in the way.

I now use a laptop at home, so I just have a MS wireless optical mouse, I've had it for about 6 months now and not had to replace the batteries yet.

wolfie3000 10:51 18 Dec 2007

I have a bluetooth mouse and keyboard click here and found when i set it up at first the logitech software crashed on me all the time but after i reinstalled Windows and used the latest drivers it worked fantastic.

As for the mouse and keyboard itself iv never had a problem, i like the idea that i dont have extra wires trailing about on my desk,

Plus having a keyboard without wires means i can quickly move it from my desktop when im cleaning.

The only problem i have really is the keyboard needs new batteries every few months,

Apart from that i love them both.

interzone55 11:01 18 Dec 2007

As a gamer do you find that Bluetooth mice are more or less responsive than their wired brethren?

I know that when I first got a wireless mouse there was sometimes a bit of lag between first moving the mouse and the game reacting.

I don't do much gaming anymore, although I am hoping that Father Christmas will be placing Half Life 2 Orange Box in my stocking...

crosstrainer 11:12 18 Dec 2007

I have tried all the incarnations, but prefer the wired variety....Particularly with Vista, which is a faff to set up with the cordless.

interzone55 11:21 18 Dec 2007

Vista shouldn't be a problem, the trick is not to use the software that comes with the keyboard / mouse.

If you need to install any software for special keys etc, get the kit working first, then install the software in compatibility mode.

lisa02 11:26 18 Dec 2007

Wireless Desktop.

I've always had problems when using both so I stick to wired keyboard and a cordless gaming mouse.

Quickbeam 12:57 18 Dec 2007

Wired Logitech multimedia keyboard... it never moves anywhere.
Wireless Logitech mouse... hate the wire from mices.

wolfie3000 13:02 18 Dec 2007

I find it just as responsive as a wired mouse,
Iv never had it lag at anytime, and its pin point accurate as well,

I would recommend it to any fps gamer, plus one advantage is that when playing fast paced games you never have to worry about the mouse tail getting caught up in anything while playing.

wiz-king 10:53 19 Dec 2007

The only problem I have had is with the batteries not making a good contact on the +ve connection because the spring was trapped by the outer casing of the rechargeable cells I use. Bending the spring worked - so now no problems.

donki 11:28 19 Dec 2007

I have to aggree with Wolfie, as a gamer I have a wireless keyboard and mouse and notice no ill effects during gaming at all. The batteries last well in mine I game for at least 2 hours a day constantly using the keyboard and mouse.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?