Blind Summit or brow of a hill?

Covergirl 10:07 27 Jun 2010

Following on from the 'Clearway' debate, how does a 'blind summit' differ from the brow of a hill?

I can't find much on this in the highway code and I don't have any impending court cases hanging on this, it's just a question for debate and clarification (if possible).

Thanks

Quickbeam 10:15 27 Jun 2010

I would describe a a G8 conference as a 'blind summit'...;)

onthelimit 11:13 27 Jun 2010

Describes my old dog very well! But, she's lovely really.

spuds 11:58 27 Jun 2010

Blind Summit = Markings on road perhaps?.

Quickbeam 12:13 27 Jun 2010

There is a sign for blind summits click here scroll well down the page and an example click here

One road with that I would say has the most blind summits is the A68 between the A66 and Carter Bar on the border. That section of road goes over valleys rather than along them.

My interpretation of a blind summit would be where the traffic travelling at normal speed (well within the speed limit) towards each other will not see each other until the last second, which is why they are dangerous and marked with hazard, or preferably no overtaking double white lines.

spuds 12:19 27 Jun 2010

There was a recent and long term advertising campaign about a motor cyclists and various road conditions. Markings on roads plus signage indicated 'humps and hollows' especially when trying to overtake ;o)

morddwyd 20:17 27 Jun 2010

"Blind Summit" signs in this neck of the woods usually mean, conversely, a dip in the road which could hide an oncoming car even though the road looks clear, i.e. you are on the summit, but you have a blind spot ahead.

Covergirl 07:38 28 Jun 2010

Morddwyd & Quickbeams explanations are about the most rational but still nothing to tell me how these situations differ from the brow or crest of a hill without markings.

Quickbeam 09:30 28 Jun 2010

Basically they are one and the same. The 'blind summit' sign is put up where accidents have occurred or thought likely to.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017