Blair 'misled MPs on legality of war'

michaelw 16:36 18 Jan 2011

Yes, I know it's the Mail, but I watched the BBC's news at 1pm too click here
Iraq inquiry 'disappointed' by Bush-Blair note secrecy click here

Some used to refer to Blair as Teflon Tony. I wonder if some things are going to begin to stick to him soon.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:03 18 Jan 2011

Quelle surprise!

G

john bunyan 17:50 18 Jan 2011

I think many conflicts are based on a certain amount of "treating the truth carelessly". The Government hid for years the secret discussions between the Israelis and the French just before Suez, and I am sure that there are other examples. The fact is the USA and their "best friends" the UK decided Saddam had to go, and they did it. It has happened and thats it. It may not be to everyones liking but few would wish Saddam back.Endless enquires costing a lot will not alter things.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:00 18 Jan 2011

'few would wish Saddam back'....judging by the huge number on ongoing daily deaths, poverty, lack of resources in Iraq at present I think your assumption may be somewhat erroneous.

G

Forum Editor 18:08 18 Jan 2011

can seriously suggest that anyone would prefer the Saddam Hussein regime to the current situation in Iraq.

john bunyan 18:13 18 Jan 2011

You may well be right, but I hope things will improve, and Saddam was a monster by anyone's standards. I suspect that even the Iraqis would not vote for his return , even if that were possible. I hear that the cabinet secretary has blocked the Chilcott enquiry from seeing all the Blair/ Bush correspondance.

peter99co 18:48 18 Jan 2011

cabinet secretary has blocked the Chilcott enquiry from seeing all the Blair/ Bush correspondance.

They have seen it. They can not make it public!

morddwyd 20:20 18 Jan 2011

On peter99co's point, can somebody please explain why, having seen, read, digested and presumably formed some conclusion from the Blair/Bush correspondence , the Chilcott enquiry now wish to publish them?

It can serve the enquiry in no way, nor take it forward any further.

By making this fuss they are detracting from the seriousness of the enquiry.

A comment, and then a dignified silence would add far more to the gravitas of the enquiry.

peter99co 20:30 18 Jan 2011

Iraq Inquiry Chairman Sir John Chilcot said he was "disappointed" by Cabinet Secretary Gus O'Donnell's decision to keep "important" documents secret.

But Sir Gus said it would not be "in the public interest" to release them.

Sir John's panel has seen the classified documents but is not being allowed to make them public.

Wilham 21:15 18 Jan 2011

True justice at least means hearing both sides of the story of the Iraq invasion. To meet this requirement the Chilcot Inquiry should ask/invite ex-foreign minister Tariq Assis to a hearing.

It will almost certainly be rejected by his present prison authority. It has been predicted Assis will die in captivity before he is allowed to give his account of what happened.

The powers in Islam are sensitive to truth and world opinion. He is from an RC family, and it is said Assis is alive today only because of intervention by the Vatican.

If an Assis visit to UK is blocked, I suggest a request is put by the British Government for an Assis affidavit, to be made in his prison in the presence of (say) a Vatican Bishop plus a couple of lawyers. That could be productive.

jakimo 23:29 18 Jan 2011

Just maybe Wikileaks.org may provide the report we are not allowed to see

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017