Black Books TV Series

iqs 14:30 09 Jul 2010

Hi,

Has anyone seen the TV series Black Books.

I have read reviews which praise the show,but what's your opinion please.

Thank you

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:43 09 Jul 2010

Along with Ideal, The Mighty Boosh and Nightingales, I think it is one of the best ever comedy programmes. It is not uproariously funny but is very subtle, more subtle than the ridiculous Birds of a Feather and Goodnight Sweetheart. Like the other programmes though, you do need to remember that is is a comedy of characters and they take a couple of episodes to gel.

You can get programme set DVDs quite cheaply, from Play or Amazon.(I've just bought the series 1-3 of The Mighty Boosh for about £12 and the whole Nightingales series for £4.

G

iqs 19:49 09 Jul 2010

Hi GANDALF <|:-)> ,many thanks for the reply.

Will have a look at The Mighty Bosh and Nightingales.
Currently there's a lack of quality comedy ,at the moment,also I'm about 10 years behind.I only heard about Spaced last year.Bought the Spaced box set,best £10 I have ever spent.

Once gain many thanks

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:01 10 Jul 2010

If you like 'Spaced' then I have a feeling that you will really like 'Ideal'. There were only 2 series of 'Nightingales' made and it is a bit of an odd 80s/90s gem that deserves a wider audience for it's quirkiness if nothing else.

G

iqs 16:25 11 Jul 2010

Hi GANDALF <|:-)>

Have just watched the first series of Black Books.Took a while to appreciate the style of humour/writing ,but I'm very impressed.
Will be watching the second series this evening.

I just cant believe I missed all these great shows,where was I the last 10 years?????

Thanks again for the replies,regards.iqs

jtt 12:53 13 Jul 2010

It did get better as time went by. I thought that this was because it took a while for me to get into it, but when I watched the first couple of episodes of the first series again, I still thought that they were a bit poor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?