Bittorrent safe/legal?

wolfie3000 02:44 27 Feb 2006

after seeing a link in another forum thread to a tomb raider video i decided i wanna watch that but i needed a bittorrent client to get it so i downloaded Bittornado.

Is it safe and is it legal iv never had to deal with this thing before so what is it?

wiz-king 05:46 27 Feb 2006

until you use it to download anything that is copyrighted then you are breaking the law. Its like having a car, as soon as you go over the speed limit it's illegal, stay within the limit and you are OK. The same applies to any of the file-sharing programs, it is the act of downloading or uploading any copyright material be it video or music or software that is illegal not using the program - although you wont find much non-copyright material on file!

SG Atlantis® 06:29 27 Feb 2006

click here

will help explain it, like above, if you aren't downloading copyrighted material then it's legal.

octal 08:38 27 Feb 2006

In fact some sites advocate using BitTorrent to download their software click here without using it you would have to pay for it.

rmcqua 09:41 27 Feb 2006

wiz-king
I assume you mean:
"until you use it to download anything that is copyrighted then you are NOT breaking the law..."

Haol 16:51 27 Feb 2006

Bittorrent is safe as far as I know it is frowned upon in the torrenting community to upload infected files. If you need a good Bittorrent client then I would suggest BitLord click here or Azureus click here

Forum Editor 17:19 27 Feb 2006

wiz-king is right - "until you use it to download anything that is copyrighted then you are breaking the law."

You break the law if you download copyright-protected material, unless of course you've paid a licence fee.

wolfie3000 19:18 27 Feb 2006

ok i see now so if i download legal game trailers (which is why i got it) i am not gonna be breaking the law.

Thanks to everyone who replied my mind is at ease knowing im not breaking the law.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?