A bit of a worry

karmgord 21:37 04 Nov 2010

I never think it's a good thing to fly in something new

click here

Remember the Comet

morddwyd 07:05 05 Nov 2010

Comet was introduced in 1951.

Hull metal fatigue failure crashes did not occur until three years, and many passenger miles, later.

Hardly new.

sunnystaines 08:09 05 Nov 2010

i would still fly in a new airliner, the latest 747 jumbo is excellent never had such a smooth take off /landing it glides into the air fantastic plane.

not been on the double decker airbus yet, wife wants to try cruises from GB she hates flying.

Quickbeam 08:14 05 Nov 2010

I have a sister near Milan and a cousin in Rome, when I visit I either drive or use the train. I haven't flown for about 15 years as I hate the claustrophobic flying tube experience and with all the security that we have now for airport checkins, I can say that I'll never fly on a commercial flight again.

Forum Editor 09:17 05 Nov 2010

I flew to Hong Kong in one with Singapore airlines shortly after they came into service. I thought it was a great aircraft, although the 747 is still my favourite.

I'm sure that Rolls Royce and Qantas will soon get to the bottom of this. Aircraft reliability and safety margins have moved on by miles since the Comet - which flew safely for 30 years, by the way.

carver 09:21 05 Nov 2010

You don't have to worry about these little things, normally jet engines only fail once and thats only when they are working.

Pine Man 10:51 05 Nov 2010

..and every plane that has taken off has always landed;-)

onthelimit 11:18 05 Nov 2010

Was lucky enough to fly Emirates 380 Club Class Birmingham to Sydney. Fantastic, comfortable and quiet aircraft.

onthelimit 11:49 05 Nov 2010

Failing memory, the 380 leg was probably the long one from Dubai - but its was direct from there to Sydney which is remarkable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone