Birds of prey

WhiteTruckMan 15:57 30 Jan 2011

I've just got back from a quick sunday run (Rochdale-Barnsley-Daventry-Telford-Rochdale) and I have noticed what seems like hundreds of birds of prey sitting on the fence posts at the side of the motorway (not all together though!). I'm not sure what they were, but not small ones like kestrels, these were much bigger.

Has anyone else noticed these increasing numbers? And what might be the cause of it, especially after such a cold december? (and do birds of prey migrate?)

WTM

alB 16:05 30 Jan 2011

Quite a lot around my area, Wirral/North Wales click here ...alB

WhiteTruckMan 16:25 30 Jan 2011

That doesnt look like them. They looked a lot lighter, and I think the head was squarer.

Wish I could have picked my phone up to get a pic, but thats a no-no

WTM

peter99co 17:21 30 Jan 2011

your post title and the image tab and found lots of them. "not all together though" :0)

DippyGirl 17:31 30 Jan 2011

click here
Sorry ...it's been a great weekend !

Forum Editor 18:35 30 Jan 2011

They certainly do, and some of them over vast distances.

The raptor migrations in Georgia (the American one) are spectacular, and people come from far and wide to watch them.

morddwyd 19:03 30 Jan 2011

They sound like Buzzards which are becoming ever more common.

They like to perch on fence posts and the like, and are much at risk from the barbaric pole trap.

I have seen up to thirteen soaring together, and up to six together at rest.

WhiteTruckMan 19:21 30 Jan 2011

I am mindful of the blackbirds you see in summer hopping up and down the hard shoulder feasting on the constant rain of dead/stunned insects from the traffic landing on the tarmac. They each seem to have their own patch, as 2 birds will eat half as well as 1.

But back to my topic, I would guesstimate that when perched on the fence posts they were standing in the region of 18" tall, if thats any help.

No idea what the pole trap is though, and I'm trying very, very hard not to dwell on any images that dippygirls post may have provoked :)

WTM

peter99co 20:06 30 Jan 2011
  sunnystaines 20:31 30 Jan 2011

that link shows a p/falcon which is very similar to our mystery bird of prey we had only difference was the underneath was complete butterscotch colour rather than white or speckled.

WhiteTruckMan 20:33 30 Jan 2011

they may have been buzzards after all. From the buzzard section of peter99co's link:

"Buzzards have blunt wing tips, and brown plumage which is very variable in shade and pattern. Some birds can be mostly white with brown patches. The legs and talons are yellow."

That does fit, along with the size of ".. Approximately 55cms tall"

Although I havent seen one in flight, just sat around.

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?